background preloader

Economist's View

Economist's View
Related:  Economics

Grasping Reality with Both Hands Real Time Economics China’s GDP growth fell in the first quarter to its slowest pace since September of 2012, slipping to 7.4% on-year growth from 7.7% the in the fourth quarter. The increase was slightly higher than economists’ expectations of a 7.3% gain. Authorities released other data that suggested continuing weakness, but not at a quickening pace. Industrial production grew 8.8% on year in March below expectations of 9% but up from an average 8.6% expansion in January and February, combined to limit distortions from the Lunar New Year holidays. Fixed-asset investment, meanwhile, slipped to 17.6% on year in the first quarter from 17.9% growth in the first two months. Markets rose on the data, with both the Shanghai and Hong Kong stock markets clicking higher. Some economists saw a massaging of the GDP figures.

Economics Roundtable January 2014 Payroll Employment We are getting closer to the previous peak. Click on the image to get a bigger version. Jobs The best summary of the state of our economy is the graph (below) of employment as a fraction of population for people over 16 years old. Click on the image to get a bigger version. Graph-of-the-Year Candidates Donald Marron likes European interest rates. Brad DeLong favors the U.S. gdp gap. Remember M1? Money Supply M1 growth is now over 20% per year over a 12 month lag. Click on the chart for a larger version. EconModel The Economics Roundtable is sponsored by EconModel. The Classic Economic Models cover micro, macro, and financial markets. RSS Feed April 13, 2014, 7:03 am, 1254828 April 13, 2014, 5:33 am, 1254826 "Or, How to Lie With Bad Data". An introduction to selection bias, publication bias, recall bias, survivorship bias, and healthy user bias. April 13, 2014, 2:04 am, 1254784 “Would the ... April 13, 2014, 1:23 am, 1254782 US Policy & Politics –Value of Life: Uwe E. Mr. 1.

Economics and Politics by Paul Krugman - The Conscience of a Liberal Two Weeks Notice: A Latin American Politics Blog Greg Mankiw's Blog Ecopublix Media Resources for Economics Media resources for economics on this page are organized into six categories. A few of the links go directly to content, but most are resource lists. Music Resources | News Resources | Video Resources | Visualization Resources | Worth a Look | Creating Your Own Media Music Resources Music for Econ by Brian O'Roark contain dozens of animated songs that provide an economic interpretation of the artist's original lyrics. From ABBA to Zeppelin, Led: using music to teach economics Offers a variety of songs and lyrics that instructors of economics may find useful in teaching economics. Flat World Economics This is an album consisting of 8 original economics songs in an MP3 format. Bailout by Merle Hazard. back to top News Resources Media for Microeconomics A database over 300 citations to audio and video stories about topics covered in principles of microeconomics from major news outlets. NBC Learn Micro and Macroeconomics news footage from NBC. Video Resources Econ 1-0-What? Visualization Resources

Poverty and Financial Distress Would Have Been Substantially Worse in 2010 Without Government Action, New Census Data Show Six temporary federal initiatives enacted in 2009 and 2010 to bolster the economy by lifting consumers’ incomes and purchases kept nearly 7 million Americans out of poverty in 2010, under an alternative measure of poverty that takes into account the impact of government benefit programs and taxes. These initiatives — three new or expanded tax credits, two enhancements of unemployment insurance, and an expansion of benefits through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly called food stamps) — were part of the 2009 Recovery Act. Congress subsequently extended or expanded some of them. To gauge the impacts of these initiatives on poverty, analysts cannot use the official poverty measure because it counts only cash income and does not take refundable tax credits, SNAP benefits, and other non-cash assistance into account. Expansions in the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) kept 1.6 million people out of poverty. The Center's Analysis

Money Is Not Important Econbrowser L'ami du laissez-faire

Related:  PtoPleningenBUSINESSEconomiePolitics 1EconomyFriday 2011-01-14blogsNewsBlogs