background preloader

Child Abuse

Facebook Twitter

You don't deserve to live in society, magistrate tells rapist. Johannesburg - A 34-year-old man who was found guilty of raping a neighbour's 8-year-old daughter has been handed a life imprisonment sentence. Mandla Shoti Lubisi, 34, of Driekoppies village near the Swazi border in Mpumalanga, was sentenced in the Tonga Regional Court on Tuesday, a Sapa correspondent reported. "I will make sure that I send you to jail because you don't deserve to live among society," Magistrate Edgar Moletsane told Lubisi. He said Lubisi was trusted in his neighbourhood but ended up raping a child. "Your neighbours used to invite you to their house to drink liquor without thinking you were up to something. Moletsane said the neighbours and the child's grandmother caught Lubisi in the act at his house on 13 February 2012.

He said the grandmother collapsed but when she came to, prevented her neighbours from killing Lubisi, insisting they leave the matter to law enforcement. He said the child was taken to hospital where it was confirmed she had been raped. Florida man executed for stepdaughter's slaying. Starke - A Florida man who fatally shot his sleeping wife and then raped and killed his young stepdaughter 22 years ago was put to death on Thursday for the child's slaying.

Chadwick Banks, aged 43, was pronounced dead at 19:27 on Thursday after a lethal injection at Florida State Prison, the office of governor Rick Scott said. Banks was condemned for the 1992 killing of 10-year-old Melody Cooper. Banks also received a life sentence for the murder of his wife, Cassandra Banks, in the attack in Florida. Banks wore the white skullcap of the Muslim Brotherhood before the lethal drugs were administered, looking directly at the family of the victims when he delivered his final statement. "I'm very sorry for the hurt and pain I have caused you all of these years", Banks said. "Year after year I have tried to come up with a reasonable answer for my actions. But how could such acts be reasonable? " Abuse left baby disabled, court hears. Pretoria - The North Gauteng High Court heard on Tuesday that a two-year-old girl known as Baby L was severely disabled because of the horrific head injury she allegedly suffered at the hands of her mother's boyfriend.

Baby L could not walk, roll over, eat or communicate coherently, Dr Paul Stevens, a surgeon at the Steve Biko hospital in Pretoria who performed emergency surgery on her on 30 December 30 last year, testified. She was discharged to a Tshwane place of safety after weeks in hospital. "She had a severe head injury... which is the cause of her being confined to a wheelchair and she cannot eat by herself. Her life expectancy will depend on the standard of care she gets on a day-to-day basis.

Washing machine "It is not possible for her to live at a normal home. "She is unable to change positions herself and she requires assistance with her feeding tube. Stevens said Baby L's injuries did not fit with the mother and boyfriend's explanation that she fell off a washing machine. Satanic child abuse claims are almost certainly based on false memories | Chris French | Science. “EXCLUSIVE: Charities claim that the satanic abuse of children is rife” screamed the headline in the Express on Sunday earlier this month.

The piece reports that two charities, Kilmarnock-based Break the Silence and Dundee-based Izzy’s Promise, believe satanic abuse to be rife in Scotland and that it has been for decades. They say children are forced to take part in satanic rituals involving the sacrifice of babies and the making of snuff movies. According to Kate Short of Break the Silence, “Victims are so brainwashed they don’t dare to speak out.” These are obviously extremely serious allegations – but are they true? A similar, although more detailed, story ran on the same day in the Scottish Express. Both stories point out that Police Scotland has said it is taking the allegations “incredibly seriously”. Have complaints of extreme satanic abuse been routinely made over the years and similarly ignored or suppressed by the authorities? The sad truth is that we have been here before.

Royal Commission into Child Sexual Abuse hears school did not have a child protection policy in place. Updated An inquiry into the response of a Perth school to concerns about the inappropriate actions of a teacher - now a convicted sex offender - has found the school did not have a child protection policy in place. The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse is examining how the independent school dealt with repeated allegations of inappropriate behaviour or touching by one of its teachers between 1999 and 2009. That teacher, referred to as YJ, was jailed for five years in 2010 for sexually abusing five students.

A public hearing was held in May in Perth. The school and its staff cannot be identified. A fellow teacher sounded the alarm in 1999 when she noticed the teacher was "over-friendly with the boys in his class, frequently touching and patting them on the bottom or putting his arm around them". Following this first complaint, more than seven other complaints were lodged with school management about the teacher's actions.

Christian Brother who pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting boys in NSW has bail revoked. Updated A Christian Brother who pleaded guilty to assaulting boys at schools across New South Wales has had his bail revoked in a Sydney court. Desmond Eric Richards, also known as Brother Neil, taught at numerous schools run by the Christian Brothers Catholic order. He spent the later years of his career at the Vatican, but was arrested when he visited Australia a year ago. Earlier this year, he pleaded guilty to indecently assaulting four boys in the 1970s and 1980s. The offences included touching a boy's genitals, and on one occasion he got into a boy's bed on a school camp at Arcadia in north-west Sydney.

One of the offences took place at St Patrick's Christian Brothers College in the southern NSW town of Albury, where Richards was headmaster. The other charges relate to incidents at Bishop Henschke School in the Riverina town of Wagga Wagga and at St Patrick's College at Strathfield in Sydney's inner-west. The boys were aged between 11 and 13. Richards will be sentenced later this month. Hay Girls Home report details deprivation, isolation and abuse. Posted A report alleging the sexual and physical abuse of inmates of the former Hay and Parramatta Girls Homes has been tabled in the Commonwealth Parliament. No one has been charged over the offences. Case Study Number Seven, of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Abuse, covered the experiences of 16 inmates of the girls homes in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, four of whom spent time at the even harsher Hay jail.

The Hay jail was a maximum security annex of the Parramatta Training School for Girls. Both were closed in 1974 after a public outcry about conditions. Most of the alleged perpetrators were never reported or investigated. The study details the physical and sexual abuse the women allege was perpetrated by 11 staff of the state government run facilities. It describes daily deprivation, isolation, psychological abuse and humiliation, and the women's difficulties reporting the abuse or seeking redress for ongoing harm. One received $10,000 and another $37,000. 87yo man jailed for molesting daughter during '50s and '60s. Child sex abuse inquiry: Barristers deny misleading court over NSW abuse compensation claims. By David Spicer Posted Barristers hired by the New South Wales Government to fight compensation claims brought by victims of child sexual abuse have denied deliberately misleading the court system.

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse is examining the State Government's treatment of victims from Bethcar Children's Home in Brewarrina, north-west NSW More than a dozen children were abused at Bethcar, a state-funded foster care facility established in the 1970s for disadvantaged Aboriginal children, the commission has been told. The commission is considering the conduct of the legal profession in dragging out compensation claims made by 15 former residents of the home.

It took the NSW Government almost six years of legal wrangling to pay the residents compensation even though Colin Gibson was convicted of sexually abusing three of the plaintiffs. Mr Woods, a junior counsel on the case, was asked about an email he sent in 2011. "Have you thought about it since? Mentally impaired man who almost shook baby girl to death given suspended jail term. Posted A mentally impaired man who out of "frustration and annoyance" shook his baby daughter so violently that she nearly died has been given a suspended jail sentence in the ACT Supreme Court. In December 2010 the child was just over three weeks old when her mother left her alone with her father while she went shopping.

I hope that they continue to find the strength and courage to deal with this very challenging situation. Chief Justice Helen Murrell When she returned the baby was still, pale and cold. The child was quickly admitted to The Canberra Hospital and was air-lifted to Sydney's Children Hospital three days later. She was diagnosed with "profound and irreversible" brain damage as a result of a lack of oxygen to her brain. It would be several more weeks before the father admitted he had shaken the baby twice in frustration when she would not stop crying. In the Supreme Court Chief Justice Helen Murrell described the man's behaviour as "reprehensible". Articles about Child Abuse. April 10, 2014 | By Garrett Therolf A new report from the blue ribbon commission on Los Angeles County's safety net for abused and neglected children levels stinging criticism at the Board of Supervisors for what it calls a sluggish approach to reform, and declares that the system has fallen into a "state of emergency.

" "Nothing short of a complete rethinking about how the county ensures safe and supportive care for abused and at-risk children will lead to the seamless and comprehensive child welfare system that the county has needed for decades," the 10-member commission wrote in a report it voted to approve Thursday afternoon. March 21, 2014 | By Ruben Vives Two women in Central California pleaded not guilty this week to multiple child abuse charges after authorities discovered three malnourished children in their home, including an 8-year-old girl who was allegedly chained to the floor to prevent her from reaching food.

March 7, 2014 | By Los Angeles Times staff. Three charged in barbaric case of child abuse. Three people have been charged in the death of a child who deputies say was routinely bound in a blanket as a form of discipline. The Lee County Sheriff's Office got the 911 call saying the child was unresponsive just after 6:30 p.m. Saturday night, October 19, at 13798 River Forest Drive in Fort Myers Shores. Investigators say three-year-old Michael Lee McMullen was sweating profusely after his afternoon nap. Donella Trainor, 45, and the boy's grandmother, 56-year-old Gale Watkins, were performing CPR when emergency responders arrived. The boy taken to the hospital and pronounced dead 40 minutes later. His body was taken to the Medical Examiner's office for an autopsy.

Meanwhile, detectives started looking into the case. They say the boy was having behavioral issues and he was put down for an afternoon nap. Investigators learned Trainor had developed a barbaric way of dealing with the boy's behavior -- rolling him up completely in a blanket and tying off the ends so he was unable to move. Child protection: Experts urge teaching protective skills in Tasmanian schools. Lucy Shannon Updated Experts in child protection want anti-abuse education rolled out in all Tasmanian schools. Tasmania's Child Safety Network is holding a forum in Hobart for organisations working with children. Anti-child-abuse trainer Holly Ann Martin said one in three women and one in four men would be sexually abused by the age of 18.

Ms Martin, the founder of Safe 4 Kids, said teaching children protective skills in schools should be a priority. "This needs to be taught in schools, this needs to be taught in child care centres... Petalynne Hay is the volunteer secretary of Protective Behaviours Tasmania. She said Government funding would make a huge difference to the training the organisation provided. "[We teach] children a language to be able to ask for help, recognise when they feel unsafe, and hopefully interrupt abuse at an early level," she said.

"Unfortunately we have to do that off the side of our desks at the moment because there isn't any Government funding for the program. " DCI Fox hopes to meet Julia Gillard and deliver message from child sexual abuse victim. Updated A Hunter policeman who brought national attention to the issue of child sexual abuse within the Catholic Church is this week hoping to meet the woman who set up the Royal Commission. Four days after Peter Fox spoke to the ABC's Lateline program of his frustrations in investigating dozens of child sex abuse cases in November 2012, former Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced the Royal Commission. Ms Gillard will be in Newcastle tonight and tomorrow promoting her new book, 'My Story'. Detective Chief Inspector Fox said he is hoping to speak to her.

"I will be forever indebted and grateful to her," he said. "I realise she was the Prime Minister but, still, to be able to bring about a Royal Commission was a huge task and a massive relief to so many people who had been trying for so many years. " Detective Chief Inspector Fox said he is aiming to deliver a personal message from a victim who has given evidence at the Royal Commission. "I hope to hand deliver that to Ms Gillard on the day. " Child sex abuse inquiry: NSW Government lawyers admit to withholding details in civil case. Posted Crown lawyers have faced tough questioning before a child sex abuse inquiry over whether they deliberately misled a court in an attempt to to shut down a damages claim. Lawyers who worked for the New South Wales Government admitted to failing in their duty to tell a court about witnesses that could have been called to give evidence in the case. The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has heard more than a dozen people sought compensation from the state after being abused while living at the Bethcar Children's Home, which was located at Brewarrina and, later, Orange.

But the former residents struggled to find witnesses to support them and the case took six years to settle. Evangelos Manollaras, the lead solicitor for NSW, told the inquiry he knew of witnesses who could have given evidence. The commissioner, Justice Peter McClellan, asked Mr Manollaras why he had not told the court about those witnesses at the time. Boy locked up and starved by parents was 'days away from death' Updated A four-year-old boy who was locked in his bedroom by his parents without adequate food was just a couple of days away from death, the Adelaide District Court has heard. The boy's 24-year-old mother and 28-year-old father, who cannot be identified due to a suppression order, have pleaded guilty to an aggravated charge of endangering the boy's life. During sentencing submissions the court heard a police officer found the boy locked in his bedroom, naked, shivering and surrounded by rubbish and faeces.

Prosecutor Lucy Boord said the officer's first reaction was to take off her jacket and wrap it around the boy and carry him out. The court heard he was found by chance as the boy's mother had called police about domestic violence. "Once that door was opened what the officer immediately saw was a small opening in that bedroom where [the boy] was found on the floor, naked, surrounded by used nappies, plastic plates and his own faecal matter," Ms Boord said. Boy 'forgotten' by agencies. Bethcar Children's Home: Resident broke own arm to escape sexual abuse, royal commission told.

Child sex abuse inquiry: Youth pastor victim says church more concerned with reputation than him. Catholic Church offered MOU on child abuse despite mandatory reporting laws, Police Integrity Commission hears.