Rewarding behavior is key to parenting teens, study suggests
Parenting is hard, and parenting teens brings about an entirely new set of challenges, from keeping their rooms clean to getting them home before curfew. But, a new study suggests parents who want their teenagers to keep their grades up could have better success if they focus more on rewarding good behavior and less on threatening to punish the bad. According to the report, published in PLOS Computational Biology, British researchers have found that adolescents focus well on positive incentives, but have difficulty staying motivated to avoid penalties. The study shows that teens and adults learn in different ways, according to the study’s lead author Stefano Palminteri, a researcher with the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College London. It suggests that “in some cases positive feedback may have more of an effect than negative feedback on learning” in adolescents. “Rewards give them something they want to think about,” Allen said. "When people go to work they get paid.
Related: Parents' Guide to Influence Teenager's Behaviour - Reinforcement & Punishment
• Operant Conditioning: How does it influences behaviours of teenagers
• Should we be using Reinforcement or Punishment to influence our teenage children?
• Reinforcement and punishments. Which works best for teenagers?
• PSY108 Student Assignment
Related: PSY 108 TMA01
• Parenting Teenagers: Reinforcement and Punishment
• Insights to influence the behavior of your teenage children
• Using Reinforcements and Punishments in Parenting Teenagers
• Behavioral Changing Strategies for Parenting
• Achieving desired behaviours for your teenager
• What is reinforcement and punishment and how can parents use these to influence the behavior of teenage children?
• Reinforcement & Punishment for the adolescent
• Tip for parents: Reinforcement and punishment to influence behaviour of teenage children
• Parenting: Reinforcement and Punishment
• Nurturing Teenagers’ Etiquette: Parents Edition
• Punishment and Reinforcement to Influence Teenagers' Behaviour
• Parenting: How reinforcement and punishment influence behaviour in teenage children and what to do
• Parent's Guide: How does reinforcement and punishment influence the behaviour of your teenager
• Reinforcement and Punishment for Teenage Behavioural Management: A Guide for Parents
• Positive Reinforcement