The Difference Between Positive/Negative Reinforcement and Positive/Negative Punishment [with Examples]
Reinforcement and punishment are often used as parenting tools to modify children’s behavior. Let’s review the difference between positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement, and the difference in outcomes between them. The Difference Between Positive And Negative Reinforcement In behavioral psychology, reinforcement is the introduction of a favorable condition that will make the desired behavior more likely to happen, continue or strengthen in the future1. Because the favorable condition acts as a reward, reinforcement is a reward-based operant conditioning. There are two types of reinforcement: positive reinforcement and negative reinforcement. These two types of reinforcement can be confusing because the technical terms used in psychology is often misrepresented in pop culture. As technical parlance, positive refers to adding a factor while negative refers to removing a factor. But positive and negative do not represent the quality of the factor being added or removed. References
Related: (Psy 108) Reinforcement and punishment that could be applied to promote road safety
• What does reinforcement and punishment mean to parents and how is it utilized to influence the behaviour of their teenage children.
• Reinforcement and Punishment: How parents affect the behaviour of their teenage children
• Resource for Teen Parents: Influencing Teenager's Behaviour
• PSY108 TMA01 - Reinforcement and Punishment in Parenting
Related: Insights to influence the behavior of your teenage children
• Reinforcement and Punishment Effects on Teenagers' Behaviour
• How can reinforcement and punishment be used to influence the behaviour of teenage children?
• Using Reinforcements and Punishments in Parenting Teenagers
• How reinforcement and punishment can effect a change of behaviour in teenage children?
• What are reinforcement and punishment to parents?
• Reinforcement & Punishment : Parenting tools to influence teenage children's behaviour
• Reinforcement or punishment? Raising your child correctly - A resource centre for all parents
• PSY108 TMA01 - Reinforcement and Punishment in Parenting of Teenagers
• Parenting teenagers: Reinforcement and Punishment
• Reinforcement and Punishment in Parenting