background preloader

Discussion

Facebook Twitter

Digital Transformations | More support needed for Generation Y. Clearly, the majority of young researchers do not fully appreciate the benefits and virtues of these resources. We found that students were reticent about using particular social media tools unless they were immediately applicable to their research disciplines or to the focus of their studies. Louisa Dale According to a UK study conducted by JISC and the British Library, research students need more informal and face-to-face support if they are to obtain the maximum benefit from open web technologies and social media.

The Researchers of Tomorrow project surveyed 17,000 ‘Generation Y’ doctoral students born between 1982 and 1994, and found that the use of social media applications within a research setting increased only gradually over a three-year period of study. Whilst online forums were used by 23 per cent of all students, only 13 per cent played an active role in discussions. 23 per cent followed blogs but only nine per cent regularly contributed to their own blog.

20 ways of thinking about digital literacy in higher education | Higher Education Network | Guardian Professional. Josie Fraser, social and educational technologist, Leicester City Council First define what you mean by digital literacy: The definition I most frequently use is this one: digital literacy = digital tool knowledge + critical thinking + social engagement. Then it's worth knowing its main characteristics: • It supports and helps develop traditional literacies• It's a life-long practice• It's about skills, competencies and critical reflection on how these skills and competencies are applied• It's about social engagement Top tips for developing the digital literacy of non-traditional students: Begin by exploring the ways in which the group are already using mobile and web based technologies. Many of them will already be engaging with tech for personal use, for example Skyping relatives, keeping in touch on Facebook or using mobile phones.

If you have a group who aren't using technology in any of these ways, personal use might be where you start the conversation. Digital Literacy @ University of Worcester. Developing digital literacies. Overview Many learners enter further and higher education lacking the skills needed to apply digital technologies to education. As 90% of new jobs will require excellent digital skills, improving digital literacy is an essential component of developing employable graduates. Courses that embed core digital skills, as well as subject specific use of technology, enable students to gain the skills and confidence they need to use digital technology not only to support their learning but also in the workplace. We’re working with colleges and universities to embed core digital skills into the curriculum.

By digital literacy we mean those capabilities which fit an individual for living, learning and working in a digital society: for example, the skills to use digital tools to undertake academic research, writing and critical thinking; as part of personal development planning; and as a way of showcasing achievements. Developing Digital Literacies programme. JISC Digital Literacies programme: A history of Digital Literacy in UK & EU #JISCDigLit — Digital Fingerprint. Sarah Payton & Tabetha Newman The EU describes it as digital competency. Lots of debate about what it is, but if we’re talking policy at institutions, it’s important to know what you are seeking to implement. Recommended books: Great (simple) definition of digital literacies: Arguments against “digital natives”: Students often get disheartened when they search the web. Students need to move beyond practitioner training, and into being strong independent learners, who are confident to go off and try for themselves.

We have to accept that ‘new’ is here to stay, and that we will no longer be ‘masters’. Assessment needs to change, to ensure that students will NEED to remix the information that’s available, rather than the “digital parrot” [my words!] Mentioned in the chat: Majority of support available is processes. European Union – recognized the need for more training for a knowledge economy (rather than a production economy), see. Connectivism and the modern learner. Recently, I read a blog article about connectivism by Debora Gallo. Soon after, I attended a presentation about m-learning by Jan Herrington, in which she too mentioned connectivism. This got me thinking… I don’t know anything about connectivism! So after several hours of unenlightened googling, I decided to bite the bullet, go back to first principles and read George Siemens’ seminal paper, Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. Theoretical foundations Siemens describes connectivism as “the integration of principles explored by chaos, network, and complexity and self-organisation theories”.

According to Chaos Theory, everything is connected, as illustrated so eloquently by the Butterfly Effect. While chaos may appear a random mess at first glance, the theory holds that order does in fact exist. So if we view chaos through the lens of Network Theory, we see the universe as a massive, complex network. The point for the learner is whether you can recognise the underlying pattern. Developing digital literacies. The Difference Between Digital Literacy and Digital Fluency | SociaLens Blog. Update 6/13/2012: We finally finished our book on this topic. It is available in print here, and in Kindle format here. You can also download a sample chapter here: here (601k PDF) Literacy and fluency* have to do with our ability to use a technology to achieve a desired outcome in a situation using the technologies that are available to us. This applies to our ability to use a hammer, nails and wood to build the house that we intend to build: ..and it applies to our ability to use digital technologies to have the intended positive effect on people and situations: Note that a literate person is perfectly capable of using the tools.

They know how to use them and what to do with them, but the outcome is less likely to match their intention. *For the sake of simplicity, we have boiled all of this down to three levels of skill, and have given them what we think are easy-to-understand names. Related Posts: The rise of e-reading. Released: April 4, 2012 By Lee Rainie, Kathryn Zickuhr, Kristen Purcell, Mary Madden and Joanna Brenner One-fifth of American adults (21%) report that they have read an e-book in the past year, and this number increased following a gift-giving season that saw a spike in the ownership of both tablet computers and e-book reading devices such as the original Kindles and Nooks.

In mid-December 2011, 17% of American adults had reported they read an e-book in the previous year; by February, 2012, the share increased to 21%. The rise of e-books in American culture is part of a larger story about a shift from printed to digital material. Using a broader definition of e-content in a survey ending in December 2011, some 43% of Americans age 16 and older say they have either read an e-book in the past year or have read other long-form content such as magazines, journals, and news articles in digital format on an e-book reader, tablet computer, regular computer, or cell phone.

Key findings: Prev Next. Digital technologies and the tensions between research and teaching | Higher Education Network | Guardian Professional. Several participants expressed concern about the tensions between the demands of research and teaching in last Friday's live chat, which asked what good teaching should look like in higher education. . Aidan Byrne, senior lecturer in English, cultural studies and media at Wolverhampton University said he was suffering the consequences of prioritising teaching: "When I started here, people told me I should concentrate on teaching rather than research.

I did and now I'm under the cosh when it comes to REF [the research excellence framework]. " Another panelists Rosalind Duhs, senior teaching fellow at the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching, University College London, identified a lack of time as the main barrier preventing academics from engaging with developing their teaching – especially with REF deadlines approaching. A better use of new technology is often advocated as a solution to this time trap. "Academics are not really 'teachers' but enablers of learning. Personal - Professional - Organisational: three basic online identities.

There are three main ways we can characterise most peoples online internet and mobile activity and presence. Let me state up front that these distinctions are purposely blunt, but do act as effective and critical distinctions, especially when talking to people about how and why they can manage their online identities. They're also very indiscreet, leaky categories, although it is of course possible to find examples of people who's online identity is confined to or dominated by a single category. Why are these differences important? Because they provide us with the building blocks to talk about and actively reflect on our online activity. How we represent ourselves, and how we are viewed online, is increasingly a part of daily social and economic life. Critically, for people working within social media or supporting digital literacy, they provide a robust framework within which to talk about key issues: privacy, data ownership/mobility, representation and voice.

Digital literacy 1: What digital literacies?