Discussions

Facebook Twitter
Si l'homme était dot d'une e-mémoire totale et ternelle Si l'homme était dot d'une e-mémoire totale et ternelle Et si vous pouviez enregistrer d'ici à quelques années chaque instant de votre vie et ainsi vous remémorer chaque seconde écoulée ? C'est le projet un peu fou que défendent deux cadres de Microsoft. En 1998, Gordon Bell, pionnier de l'informatique et chercheur chez Microsoft, se lance dans une aventure technologique sans précédent : la numérisation de tous ses documents personnels. Photos, annuaires, factures, livres, vidéos, il décide de s'affranchir entièrement du papier et des enregistrements analogiques. C'est le début du projet Total Recall (Mémoire Totale).
What the strange persistence of rockets can teach us about innovation.By Neal Stephenson The phenomena of path dependence and lock-in can be illustrated with many examples, but one of the most vivid is the gear we use to launch things into space. Rockets are a very old invention. The Chinese have had them for something like 1,000 years. What the strange persistence of rockets can teach us about innovation.By Neal Stephenson
The Chess Master and the Computer by Garry Kasparov Chess Metaphors: Artificial Intelligence and the Human Mind by Diego Rasskin-Gutman, translated from the Spanish by Deborah Klosky MIT Press, 205 pp., $24.95 The Chess Master and the Computer by Garry Kasparov
Conversation, discovery and reputation: tools for navigating the age of abundance « Planning in High Heels Conversation, discovery and reputation: tools for navigating the age of abundance « Planning in High Heels Contemplating the extraordinary wealth of ideas and inspiration coming out of this year’s South by South West Interactive, it struck me that while they initially seemed disparate (visualizing music libraries, social media and revolution, the path to better crowdsourcing), many of the panels and ideas that excited me most had certain key themes in common. Fundamentally, they all addressed the emerging challenge of our time-how to successfully navigate the age of abundance-an age where there is more information, more content and more connectivity that we could possibly have imagined even a decade ago. The power of conversation Unsurprisingly, Clay Shirky was first up to tackle this theme, with a characteristically barnstorming take on social media and revolution. His start point was that abundance is a profoundly powerful and disruptive political force-the power of abundance to disrupt is a recurring Shirky preoccupation.
Press Info - Letter from Steve Jobs To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community: I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come. I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee. Press Info - Letter from Steve Jobs
I last saw Steve Jobs a year and half ago. I spent an hour alone in his company while he showed me the latest piece of magical hardware to have come from the company he had founded in 1976, the yet to be released Apple iPad. Naturally I was flattered to have been approved by him to be the one to write a profile for Time Magazine and to be given a personal demonstration of the device of which he was so clearly proud and for which he had such high hopes. Steve Jobs Steve Jobs
The political party that wants to ban PowerPoint | Technology PowerPoint is ubiquitous, but some people really hate it. Photograph: Alamy Switzerland could become the first country to outlaw PowerPoint presentations if a new party runs in the October parliamentary elections. The political party that wants to ban PowerPoint | Technology
Algorithms