background preloader

Discussions

Facebook Twitter

Lens culture international exposure awards competition for photography and multimedia. Louise Clements is Artistic Director of QUAD a centre for contemporary art and film, as well as being the Co-Founder and Artistic Director/Curator of FORMAT International Photography Festival in Derby since 2004, one of the UK's leading contemporary photography and media festivals: www.formatfestival.com. As a curator, since 1998 she has initiated and curated many commissions, publications, mass participation art, film and photography programmes and exhibitions. Louise has recently been awarded the Milapfest fellowship 2013 and the Blow-up Fellowship India 2012. She was Guest Curator at Kaunas Photofestival, Lithuania Duel/Duet 2010; Habitat Centre and Haus Khas BlowUp, in Deli, India; Dong Gang international Photography Festival South Korea, UK Photography Now : the Constructed View, 2013; Dali International Photography Festival, China, Life Is Elsewhere 2013; Noorderlicht 20/20 2013.

The Faux-Vintage Photo: Full Essay (Parts I, II and III) I am working on a dissertation about self-documentation and social media and have decided to take on theorizing the rise of faux-vintage photography (e.g., Hipstamatic, Instagram). From May 10-12, 2011, I posted a three part essay. This post combines all three together. Part I: Instagram and HipstamaticPart II: Grasping for AuthenticityPart III: Nostalgia for the Present a recent snowstorm in DC: taken with Instagram and reblogged by NPR on Tumblr Part I: Instagram and Hipstamatic This past winter, during an especially large snowfall, my Facebook and Twitter streams became inundated with grainy photos that shared a similarity beyond depicting massive amounts of snow: many of them appeared to have been taken on cheap Polaroid or perhaps a film cameras 60 years prior. In this essay, I hope to show how faux-vintage photography, while seemingly banal, helps illustrate larger trends about social media in general.

What do these apps do? Why Faux-Vintage Now? Is Picture-Quality the Reason? Street photography now. Naissance d’un photoreporter. Texte de l’intervention de Hughes Léglise-Bataille au colloque “Enjeux de la photographie à l’heure d’internet” (Gens d’images), Maison européenne de la photographie, Paris, 7 décembre 2007, publié à l’occasion de sa disparition. Je m’appelle Hughes Léglise-Bataille, j’ai 39 ans, et dans la vie courante, je ne suis pas photographe mais banquier d’affaires. Mon histoire est celle de quelqu’un qui a découvert la photographie par hasard il y a tout juste deux ans, grâce à Internet en général et à Flickr en particulier. Cette histoire s’articule autour de 3 étapes, qui reflètent chacune des utilisations différentes de Flickr : Tout d’abord, en tant qu’espace communautaire de partage, d’apprentissage, voire de jeu;Ensuite, en tant que plate-forme de diffusion vers l’extérieur;Enfin, avec un grand point d’interrogation, en tant que ressource alternative aux circuits traditionnels de la photographie.

Au printemps 2007 débute le mouvement anti-CPE. Travel Photographer of the Year Awards winners announced. Farewell to the fine art of focusing. "From today painting is dead" is an aphorism often attributed to Paul Delaroche, a 19th-century French painter, upon seeing the first daguerreotypes (though Wikipedia maintains there is no compelling evidence that he actually said it). In a way, it was a misjudgment on the same epic scale as Thomas Watson's celebrated observation that the total world market for computers was five machines.

What Delaroche was presumably getting at was that painting as a naturalistic representation of reality was terminally threatened by the arrival of the new technology of "painting with light". If that is indeed what he meant, then he was only partly right. What brought Delaroche to mind was the announcement of the Lytro light field camera, which goes on sale next year. Based on some discoveries made by a Stanford student, Ren Ng, the camera turns the normal process of compose-focus-shoot on its head. The science behind the camera is both arcane and fascinating.

Is the age of the critic over? Miranda Sawyer, broadcaster and Observer radio critic: 'Twitter has made it easier for critics to hear other people's opinions. Even then, though, you tend to hear similar views to your own' When I was writing for the Face, during the 1990s, I went to interview some boy racers: young lads who spent all their money souping up their cars in order to screech around mini roundabouts or rev their engines in supermarket car parks until their tyres smoked.

The kids asked me who I was writing for. When I said the Face – a magazine that prided itself on representing all aspects of British youth interests – every single one of them replied: "Never heard of it. " The point is that most people – especially those outside the high-culture capital of London – are involved in culture of their own choice, often of their own making. Professional critics spend their time whizzing between private screenings and secret gigs, opening nights and exclusive playbacks.

See www.bookslut.com Why the astonishment? The Astonishing Power of Flickr. Photographer Raising $270,000 for a Camera That Can See through Walls. Photographer David Yoder began photographing this mystery for the National Geographic starting in 2007, and soon began looking for a way to photograph the lost painting through the existing mural. He’s currently attempting to raise $266,500 through Kickstarter to develop a camera to do this. There are a number of clues suggesting that the legendary painting is still intact: first, in two other cases where Vasari covered works by other famous artists, he left them intact behind his new artwork.

Second, the only words to be found in all of Vasari’s paintings in the building are found over where Leonardo’s painting was believed to be. The words — found on a green flag being waved by a soldier — read, “Cerca Trova”, which translates to “He who seeks, finds”. Finally, when scanning the building with a ground-penetrating radar, investigators discovered a thin gap behind the “Cerca Trova” painting — the only gap found throughout the whole building.

The Search for the Lost da Vinci (via NYTimes) Cinemagraphs: Artists develop pictures with movement that take 'stills' to next level. By Daniel Bates Updated: 09:11 GMT, 27 April 2011 It is, in their own words, ‘something more than a photo but less than a video’. Two artists have created a new way to to record your special moments - pictures with movement. The ‘cinemagraphs’ look like still photos but actually feature a subtle area of movement designed to grab your eye and keep you looking. The effect is slightly eerie - but utterly captivating. Hair-raising: Cinemagraphs may look like stills, but they feature a subtle area of movement designed to grab your eye. Turning a page: The cinemagraphs work by using GIFs, a type of picture format similar to a JPEG which has been around since the invention of home computers but has come into its own with broadband internet In one shot of a crowded square, bodies are frozen in time, but one man quietly turns the pages of his newspaper.

Another photo of a restaurant terrace is brought to life by the reflection of a taxi going past in the window. Cinemagraphs. The Top 10 Photo Collectors. Angela Strassheim's Untitled, 2004, from the collection of Elton John. David DechmanNew York WEALTH MANAGEMENT 20th century Randi and Bob FisherSan Francisco APPAREL (GAP, INC.) 20th century; contemporary Sondra Gilman and Celso Gonzalez-FallaNew York INHERITANCE; REAL-ESTATE DEVELOPMENT 20th century; contemporary Daniel Greenberg and Susan SteinhauserLos Angeles ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT 20th century Michael JesselsonNew York WEALTH MANAGEMENT 20th century Elton JohnLondon; Atlanta ENTERTAINMENT 20th century; contemporary Andrew PilaraSan Francisco INVESTMENT BANKING 20th century; contemporary Lisa and John PritzkerSan Francisco HOTELS AND INVESTMENTS 20th century; contemporary Thomas WaltherZurich INHERITANCE (MACHINE-TOOL MANUFACTURING) 19th century; 20th century Michael WilsonLondon FILM 19th century; 20th century “It depends on who you talk to,” a prominent curator of photography told me when I asked him to name the world’s top ten photography collectors.

He was right.