Get flash to fully experience Pearltrees
There have been a host of complaints about the iPad - it doesn't do this, it doesn't have that, why can't it, I wish it would, it's closed ... Even Hitler was disappointed . All this misses the point. The iPad represents a fundamental shift in the metaphors and language of "computing."
Editor’s note : This is a guest post written by Jeremy Allaire , founder and CEO of Brightcove . Prior to Brightcove, Jeremy founded Allaire Corporation which was subsequently acquired by Macromedia due to the success of their web development tool ColdFusion. At Macromedia, Jeremy helped create the Macromedia MX (Flash) platform. You can see a recent interview of Jeremy here . As one of the guys who helped build the Flash Platform, we asked him to weigh in on the recent HTML5 v.
French game developer Gameloft , listed on Euronext Paris, this afternoon shared its 2009 financial results with the world. The video game publisher achieved consolidated sales of €122.0 million – roughly $170 million – for 2009, up 11% compared to 2008. The company also specified ‘iPhone revenue’, which presumably means its income from distribution of its games on both the iPhone and iPod Touch: in 2009, that number jumped 231% YOY to reach €17.6 million (approximately $25 million). Gameloft withdrew from boxed games in January 2009, and says mobile games accounted for 94% of the company’s sales for the whole year. The remaining 6% are related to consoles game sales. Full-year revenues from the mobile game segment grew by 12%, self-reportedly due to the success of the games the company distributes through Apple’s App Store.
There's a ton of debate about Apple's iPad this week, of course. But among the celebrations, suspicions and drama one thing's been overlooked. The iPad's killer feature could be not what you view it, but what you plug it. For the first couple of years Apple's iPhone remained a very one-way device: You used Apple's cable and its 30-pin connector, plugged it into iTunes and sent pretty much everything into the phone, only sucking comparatively small bits and bobs of data (photos mainly) back out of the beast.
Even before Apple announced the iPad last week, the Internet was going tablet-crazy. After speculation, literally years in the making, finally built to a crescendo, the public reaction has been decidedly mixed . Discussions about what's missing and why the announcement was a disappointment have been covered from nearly every angle. However, whether Apple's iPad ultimately succeeds or fails, it is yet another sign of an emerging device class. With Google , Microsoft , and others investing in researching tablet-style computers, this is a trend that will not begin or end with the iPad.
Officially, Google won't confirm any solid plans to release a tablet device when their new netbook-ready operating system, Chrome OS , debuts later this year. However, documentation appearing recently on the Chromium project website , the home of the open source code on top of which Chrome is built, shows that a tablet PC is a form factor the Internet giant is definitely considering. Assuming such a device was ever to launch, it would pit Google's vision for the future of mobile computing up against that of Apple's iPad , the highly-anticipated multi-touch tablet launched late last month to mixed reviews. While both the Apple slate and the possible Google Chrome tablet tout sleek and shiny elegance on the outside, the two computing devices could not be more different on the inside. And when it comes time to buy, consumers will have to make a choice: what sort of tablet is the future of computing?