
the free encyclopedia Man had knife buried in face for four years: I've got these stabbing pains By Daily Mail Reporter Updated: 21:11 GMT, 16 February 2011 A man who went to the doctor complaining of a headache was shocked to discover he'd had a 4in knife blade stuck in his brain for more than four years. Li Fu from Yunnan Province, China, was stabbed during a robbery in 2006, and the blade of the knife had lodged in his cranium. But despite receiving treatment for his injuries, doctors failed to notice the knife buried deep in the 37-year-old's skull. Ouch: Here, the 4in blade is placed over the top of the X-ray of Li Fu's skull Incredibly, it wasn't until Li visited the doctor last month to complain of his continuous migraines that doctors finally made the grim discovery after a routine X-ray. Li and his family were so shocked by the X-ray results, they asked for a second opinion before agreeing to let doctors operate. The second doctor confirmed the suspicions and Li underwent an operation to remove the knife at People's Hospital in Yuxi City, Yunnan Province on Saturday.
F.C.C.’s Google Case Leaves Unanswered Questions The censured Google for obstructing an inquiry into the Street View project, which had collected Internet communications from potentially millions of unknowing households as specially equipped cars drove slowly by. But the investigation, described in an interim report, was left unresolved because a critical participant, the Google engineer in charge of the project, cited his Fifth Amendment right and declined to talk. It is unclear who else at Google might have known about the data gathering, or when they might have known. Google maintains that the data gathering was unauthorized, according to a person with knowledge of the matter, but the engineer is maintaining that other people at the company knew about it. Google was fined $25,000 for obstruction, a penalty it can challenge. Privacy advocates said the F.C.C. report was only a start. But the Google engineer wrote a program for the project that went beyond what was originally envisioned. But Mr. Mr. Mr. J. Kevin J.
Elementary School Student Suspended for 'Kick Me' Sign Prank at NYC School <br/><a href=" US News</a> | <a href=" Business News</a> Copy The age old prank of sticking a "kick me" sign to a classmate's back has landed one fourth grader in serious trouble at a New York City elementary school. A 9-year-old boy was suspended for two days for sticking a post-it note on another student's back with the words "kick me" scribbled on it. The mother of the suspended student is reportedly upset that her son's joke led to punishment, the New York Post reported. The suspension comes amid a national debate over what constitutes bullying and when efforts to block bullying have gone too far. The incident happened at P.S. 158 in Manhattan in late January. "That's been kind of a time honored sign through the years done by generations of students," said Dr. Still, Stephens cautioned that the prank, even if done in jest, could disrupt a classroom. Anti-bullying expert Barbara Coloroso disagrees with the school's reaction.
F.C.C.’s Google Case Leaves Unanswered Questions The censured Google for obstructing an inquiry into the Street View project, which had collected Internet communications from potentially millions of unknowing households as specially equipped cars drove slowly by. But the investigation, described in an interim report, was left unresolved because a critical participant, the Google engineer in charge of the project, cited his Fifth Amendment right and declined to talk. It is unclear who else at Google might have known about the data gathering, or when they might have known. Google maintains that the data gathering was unauthorized, according to a person with knowledge of the matter, but the engineer is maintaining that other people at the company knew about it. Google was fined $25,000 for obstruction, a penalty it can challenge. Privacy advocates said the F.C.C. report was only a start. But the Google engineer wrote a program for the project that went beyond what was originally envisioned. But Mr. Mr. Mr. J. Kevin J.
Who's killing the Dewey decimal system? February 18, 2011|By Robert McCoppin, Tribune reporter To find a favorite book in Elgin's Rakow Branch library, 6-year-old Rina Teglia marched straight to the "Ready to Read" section and picked out "Bathtime for Biscuit." While she was at it, a nearby book titled "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" caught her eye, so she grabbed it to take home too. "I like it a lot," Rina said of the library. "You can find books easily." Score one for the library's bookstore-style layout. A handful of pioneering suburban libraries are transitioning from the librarian-loved but misunderstood Dewey to the type of organization system used by booksellers. Critics say the new system is a nightmare for anyone trying to find a specific book that doesn't fit into an obvious category. A library in south suburban Frankfort is among a small number of libraries nationwide that have switched entirely to the new format. "For us, we can definitely say this appeals to people," Rakow library Director Margaret Peebles said.
FTC Drops Probe of Google Wi-Fi Snooping - Wednesday, October 27, 2010 The Federal Trade Commission informed Google today that it has dropped its investigation into what the Internet giant has described as the mistaken collection of information from unsecured Wi-Fi networks. In a letter to Albert Gidari, Google’s outside counsel, David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s consumer protection bureau, said the agency was dropping its probe given the actions Google has taken to improve its internal processes. Those include appointing a director of privacy and product management, implementing “core” privacy training for key employees, and incorporating a privacy review process into product design. Vladeck also noted that Google has pledged to delete the data it collected “as soon as possible.” “Google has made assurances to the FTC that the company has not used and will not use any of the payload data collected in any Google product or service, now or in the future. Privacy advocates expressed disappointment with the FTC’s decision.
Worst Nightmare Realized of the Day Sarah went online to find a lover...and ended up on a blind date with her long lost BROTHER EXCLUSIVE: A cleaner signed up to a website and ended up on a blind date - with her long-lost brother. A CLEANER signed up to a website and ended up on a blind date - with her long-lost brother. Sarah Kemp, 42, swapped emails and photos with 47-year-old George Bentley. But it was only when they met in a pub on their first date and talked about their childhood that they realised they were brother and sister. Luckily, the penny dropped before any "kisses or fumbles" took place. Last night, Sarah said: "Can you imagine the surprise, joy and embarrassment we both felt? Sarah, from Edinburgh, added: "To meet your long-lost brother, in a bar, after over 30 years would be something by itself. "But to meet him in those circumstances - on a date, for crying out loud - really is something else. Sarah and George were born in Ashford, Kent, where they spent an "idyllic childhood" with parents Felicity and David Bentley. But they lost touch in 1975, when the couple divorced.
Manhattan dentist sent 31 pounds of pot, worth $50K, in the mail Siegel for News Chinatown dentist Richard Lyons (below) shows the marijuana he received in the mail Friday. A Manhattan dentist got a mystery UPS package Friday from a real dope - it was filled with 31 pounds of very pungent pot. Dr. Richard Lyons couldn't believe his nose when he opened the box that was delivered to his Chinatown office. "From my 70's days, when I saw the green and smelled it, I knew it was marijuana," said Lyons, whose graying ponytail could qualify him for a bit role in a Cheech and Chong movie. Lyons, 61, said he had no idea how the pot - worth up to $50,000 on the street - wound up at his place, but he immediately called the cops. "I was shocked - shocked! "It's not legal. Lyons said the pot was wrapped in a black plastic bag "with a bunch of baby wipes on top" that had been placed inside a plastic bin and then the box. It arrived at his office at 10:30 a.m. and was signed for by an assistant. The box had a return address for a Gwendaline Lyons in Katy, Texas.
Report: Fukushima nuke workers expect to die - World news - Asia-Pacific TOKYO — The workers at Japan's stricken nuclear power plant — known as the Fukushima 50 — expect some of them will die within weeks or months, the mother of one has reportedly said. Tokyo Electric Power Co., the power company that runs the plant, said Friday that leaking radiation had seeped into groundwater beneath the site. The leak is an indicator of how far TEPCO is from stabilizing the dangerously overheating reactors after cooling systems were knocked out in the March 11 quake and tsunami. Earlier this week, a Japanese minister conceded there was no end in sight to the crisis, although some of the world's largest cement pumps are being sent to Japan , initially to pump water but then to possibly entomb the site as was done in Chernobyl. The Fukushima 50, who actually are a group of about 300 people who have been working in shifts of 50, have become heroes in Japan and are known as atomic "samurai." Video: More trouble for Japanese nuclear plant He did not expect the pump to return.
Dalai Lama cooks up a publicity storm as a guest judge on MasterChef WHAT'S COOKING?: The Dalai Lama will appear on MasterChef.Picture: File Source: The Daily Telegraph Dalai Lama to guest judge MasterChef There's a catch - he'll be eating the food "Due to his beliefs, he won't be judging" MOVE over Matt Preston, the Dalai Lama is in town. His Holiness is set to be the guest judge in an episode of MasterChef being filmed in Melbourne today. The Dalai Lama will join Preston, George Calombaris and Gary Mehigan to taste dishes prepared by the seven contestants left in the competition. The MasterChef appearance comes a day after the Dalai Lama said Australia had a small but important role to play in helping solve the world's refugee problem. "I think sometimes the smaller nations can have a more effective role to create a better world," he said. His Holiness also criticised China - Australia's largest trading partner - for its lack of compassion and brutal suppression of democracy. He urged people everywhere to embrace democracy.
China Decides to Ban Time Travel In China… well, in China, many weird things happen. The Chinese government, in another strange episode, has decided to ban time travel. Well, at least when it comes to television shows and movies. With the way things are run, the state controls and monitors everything shown on your television or your computer. Somehow, though, the government has taken a sudden disliking to the idea of distorting certain historical events, things and people. The idea of time-travel has soared in popularity recently, and it seems like the authorities have just gotten sick of it. The decision was made earlier this month, with the country’s State Administration for Radio, Film & Television stating that “The producers and writers are treating the serious history in a frivolous way, which should by no means be encouraged anymore.” What’s wrong with these shows? (via New York Times) More on TIME.com:
Japan to End Whaling - Completely BS Breaking News 9 MINUTES AGOBREAKING NOW Tokyo (Kyodo) - The top spokesperson for the Japanese government announced that Japan will no longer hunt and kill whales for research. "Effective immediately, Japan will no longer conduct scientific research on whale populations which require capture and dissection," said Chief Cabinet Secretary Makoto Inoue, speaking at a press conference in Tokyo. "The Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has revoked all permits for whaling research." Asked about the motivation behind the sudden announcement, Inoue said, "It cannot be denied that that whaling severely and unnecessarily damages the image of Japan in the international community, due to the strong sentiment against whaling in many countries," speaking through an interpreter. Inoue added that government budget restraints do not justify significant expenditures for whale research. It is unknown what political considerations prompted this sudden and unexpected announcement.