Technology | Microsoft launches free security Microsoft has released its free computer security package to the public. From 1700 BST on 29 September, Windows users will be able to download the software from Microsoft's Security Essentials website. The free software gives basic protection against viruses, trojans, rootkits, and spyware. The Essentials software is Microsoft's second try at making an own-brand security package. Prior to release, a beta version of Microsoft's Security Essentials (MSE) software, codenamed Morro, has been available to users in the US, China, Brazil, and Israel. Genuine PC Microsoft said the software would be available to anyone who wanted to use it and downloading it would not involve registering with the software firm or having a limit on the amount of time it could be used for. "It's not being included as part of the operating system or as an automatic update," said Cliff Evans, head of security and privacy at Microsoft UK. This latest release is intended to help close that gap. Malware writers
Exact Audio Copy ThreatFire AntiVirus - Behavioral Virus and Spyware Protection foobar2000 Best Programs To Keep Your Computer Secure | MakeUseOf.com There is far too much spyware, adware, malware in general. Unfortunately, all of this can be easily received involuntarily. Unfortunately as well, many people do not have sufficient enough programs to make sure these pieces of junk are removed properly and your computer is safely restored. Anti-Virus AVG Anti-Virus AVG Anti-Virus – AVG has been around since 1991, and have been updating their program since then. Mark previously wrote a review on the new AVG 2008 Antivirus here. ThreatFire ThreatFire – ThreatFire is an extremely sweet Anti-Virus application. On their website it states that ThreatFire has 243% more protection then traditional Anti-Virus applications in tests and that ThreatFire has examined 17,836,589,477 programs for suspicious behavior! Avira Avira Anti-Virus – Avira AntiVir is one of the highest rated Anti-Virus applications out there. It runs in the background checking for malicious behavior and runs occasional checks, while checking opened and closed files. Anti-Spyware
OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite Anti-Virus Guide Do you need antivirus help right now? If so, see: Removing Viruses from a PC That Won’t Boot, Krebs On Security, March 29, 2010 Malware Troubles? Spotting a PC Infection, Erik Larkin, PC World, February 2, 2009 Is It a Virus? Important Antivirus Tips Not Just Antivirus -- Malware protection software (still called antivirus for marketing purposes) replaces separate products for antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-Trojan, and other Internet security and privacy threats. Amazon.com Widgets Comparative Retail Antivirus Reviews Based on our interpretation of comparative reviews by PC Mag, PC World, and Top Ten Reviews, we conclude that these are the top 18 out of 36 products. AV-Test Reveals Vista Antivirus Results, Neil J. Market Share North America Antivirus Market Share Report, OPSWAT, Sept 2010 -- The top five vendors are Symantec (Norton), AVAST, AVG, ESET, Microsoft for a total of 60% of the market. 12 other vendors share the remaining 40%. Top Four Retail Antivirus Software Products alwil avast!
gparted.fr Anti-Virus Software Review 2008