What Does A Map Of The Internet Look Like? Internet-map.net It can be tough to visualize the internet. Web traffic companies like Alexa do a good job of showing the relative ranking of websites, but what about the connections between websites? What do those look like? The Internet Map is an online project that seeks to visualize metrics like web traffic and linking between sites, and the result is a beautiful landscape of the web today. Here's how a website's physical shape and placement on The Internet Map was determined. The Internet's Original Sin Ron Carlson’s short story “What We Wanted To Do” takes the form of an apology from a villager who failed to protect his comrades from marauding Visigoths. It begins: What we wanted to do was spill boiling oil onto the heads of our enemies as they attempted to bang down the gates of our village. But as everyone now knows, we had some problems, primarily technical problems, that prevented us from doing what we wanted to do the way we had hoped to do it. What we’re asking for today is another chance.
Big data: What’s your plan? The payoff from joining the big-data and advanced-analytics management revolution is no longer in doubt. The tally of successful case studies continues to build, reinforcing broader research suggesting that when companies inject data and analytics deep into their operations, they can deliver productivity and profit gains that are 5 to 6 percent higher than those of the competition. The promised land of new data-driven businesses, greater transparency into how operations actually work, better predictions, and faster testing is alluring indeed. But that doesn’t make it any easier to get from here to there. The required investment, measured both in money and management commitment, can be large. CIOs stress the need to remake data architectures and applications totally.
Cross-browser fingerprinting test 2.0 While we browse the web, most web pages have an interest in observing our behaviour in order to achieve certain business benefits. Read more » For example, they would like to know what kind of content the visitor is interested in, and, more specifically, what to recommend to a user who has already downloaded certain page(s) (e.g. article(s)). Astuce: Exploring the Flash CS5 code panneau Fragments - Développement - Tuts + In this Quick Tip I'll show you how to use the brand new Flash CS5 Code Snippets Panel to easily add keyboard and mouse interaction to your projects, without necessarily needing to learn AS3. Let's take a look! Final Result Preview
72 Hours of #Gamergate — The Message The Breakdown Most of the posting activity to #Gamergate and #NotYourShield is retweets. (From here on, I’ll refer to both hashtags as just “#Gamergate” for readability’s sake.) Out of 316,669 total tweets, 217,384 of them (about 69%) were retweets. The remaining 99,285 (31%) were original tweets— 46,826 weren’t directed to anyone, 39,622 replied directly to another user, and 12,837 publicly mentioned one or more users. In total, 38,630 user accounts posted to the two hashtags in those three days.
Report: Rare leaked NSA source code reveals Tor servers targeted Two Germany-based Tor Directory Authority servers, among others, have been specifically targeted by the National Security Agency’s XKeyscore program, according to a new report from German public broadcaster ARD. Tor is a well-known open source project designed to keep users anonymous and untraceable—users' traffic is encrypted and bounced across various computers worldwide to keep it hidden. This marks the first time that actual source code from XKeyscore has been published. How Open Data Is Changing The Way Vancouver Shelters Its Homeless Last month, seemingly out of nowhere, the Province of British Columbia announced it would spend $1 million (in Canadian dollars) to address health and safety violations in a number of the single resident occupancy (SRO) buildings it owns in Vancouver. The reason...? Open data. Indeed, what follows is a wonderful example of how data and transparency can drive policy and encourage governments to fulfill commitments that help those most at risk.
How to Detect Apps Leaking Your Data One reason that smartphones and smartphone apps are so useful is that they can integrate intimately with our personal lives. But that also puts our personal data at risk. A new service called Mobilescope hopes to change that by letting a smartphone user examine all the data that apps transfer, and alerting him when sensitive information, such as his name or e-mail address, is transferred. wish you were here 18 artists – 72 artworks – 20 sq. meters It’s happening in the heart of St. Gilles, just off the magnificent Maison Communale. It’s the opening of Galerie-Up. I enter and can hardly make my way through the crowd to reach the opposite corner, the room’s spotlight, somehow left on its own. For a few minutes I stand there, trying to figure out the place.