background preloader

Trinity College Dublin MS 58

Trinity College Dublin MS 58
Title: Book of Kells Name(s): Department: Item No Is part of: Digital No MS58_001r Note: Folio 1r: Hebrew names and Evangelist symbols IE TCD MS 58 fol.1r-27r Preliminaries; 27v-129r Matthew; 129v-187v Mark; 188r-290r Luke; 292r-339v John. Abstract: The Book of Kells contains the four Gospels in Latin based on the Vulgate text which St Jerome completed in 384AD, intermixed with readings from the earlier Old Latin translation. Type of work: Dimensions: 33 x 25 cm Materials: Subjects: Publisher: Copyright: Copyright 2012 The Board of Trinity College Dublin.

London, British Library, Add MS 89000 Content The St Cuthbert Gospel (formerly known as the Stonyhurst Gospel) is the oldest intact European book. Made in the late-7th century, the manuscript contains a copy of the Gospel of St John, and was apparently placed in the coffin of St Cuthbert (c. 635–687) when he was re-interred at Lindisfarne in 698. Cuthbert's coffin was subsequently removed to Durham, where it was opened in September 1104 on the occasion of the translation of his remains, and the book discovered inside:"Ewangelium Iohannis quod inuentum fuerat ad capud beati patris nostri Cuthberti in sepulcro iacens anno translacionis ipsius" (13th century note added on f. ii verso: "The Gospel of John which was found at the head of our blessed father Cuthbert lying in his tomb in the year of his translation").

Meeting about tour and dinner on our own London, British Library, Cotton Vitelius A XV Cotton MS Vitellius A XV, ff 94r–209v Dublin's Georgian Garden Squares NLW Peniarth MS 1 Reference: Peniarth MS 1 The Black Book of Carmarthen, so called because of the colour of its binding and its connection with the Priory of St John the Evangelist and Teulyddog, Carmarthen, is now thought by modern scholars to be the work of a single scribe writing at different periods of his life before and about the year 1250. This makes it one of the earliest surviving manuscripts written solely in the Welsh language. It was designated one of the 'Four Ancient Books of Wales' by William Forbes Skene (1809-92), although he believed it to have been written much earlier in the twelfth century. The manuscript came into the hands of Sir John Price of Brecon (1502?-1555), a man with antiquarian and literary interests. Little is known of its history after its rescue by Sir John until its acquisition by the seventeenth-century antiquary Robert Vaughan (1592? The manuscript is made up of eight gatherings of stout vellum sewn together and bound to form a volume of 54 folios (108 pages).

The Old Library & the Book of Kells Exhibition Trinity College Dublin has been voted the No. 2 top attraction in Ireland to visit on TripAdvisor's list of Ireland's Top 10 Attractions for 2013, and has also been awarded a TripAdvisor's Travellers' Choice Award. Due to security arrangements for the Trinity Ball - the Old Library and the Book of Kells Exhibition will close on Friday 4 April 2014 at 13:00 rather than 17:00 and will remain closed for the rest of the day. Welcome! Welcome to the Old Library and the Book of Kells Exhibition - a “must see” on the itinerary of all visitors to Dublin. Visitors enter through the Library Shop and proceed to the Book of Kells "Turning Darkness into Light" exhibition; then to the Treasury where the Book of Kells and other related manuscripts are on view; then proceed upstairs to the magnificent Long Room which houses 200,000 of the Library’s oldest books in its oak bookcases. Exhibitions are held in the Long Room to display the rich holdings of the Library and encourage further research.

NLW, Peniarth MS 2 Reference: NLW Peniarth MS 2 The Book of Taliesin (Peniarth MS 2), dating from the first half of the fourteenth century, is one of the most famous Welsh manuscripts. It does not appear to have been known by its present title until the seventeenth century. The volume contains a collection of some of the oldest poems in Welsh, many of them attributed to the poet Taliesin who was active towards the end of the sixth century and sang the praise of Urien Rheged and his son Owain ab Urien. Other poems reflect the kind of learning with which the poet became associated, deriving partly from Latin texts and partly from native Welsh tradition. It is this manuscript which preserves the texts of famous poems such as 'Armes Prydein Fawr', 'Preiddeu Annwfn' (which refers to Arthur and his warriors sailing across the sea to win a spear and a cauldron), and elegies to Cunedda and Dylan eil Ton, as well as the earliest mention in any western vernacular of the feats of Hercules and Alexander.

NLW, Peniarth MS 20 Reference: Peniarth MS 20 The Peniarth 20 manuscript includes several different texts, Y Bibl Ynghymraec, Brut y Tywysogion, Myrddin a Gwenddydd and Gramadeg Barddal. Y Bibyl ynghymraec The first text in the manuscript, 'Y Bibl ynghymraec', (The Bible in Welsh) is a translation of a part of Promptuarium Bibliae. Brut y Tywysogion 'Brut y Tywysogion' (The Chronicle of the Princes) is a translation of a lost Latin work, the Cronica Principium Wallie. There are two main versions of 'Brut y Tywysogion', the version in the Red Book of Hergest that is kept at the Bodleian Library, Oxford and the Peniarth 20 version. It is not known who was responsible for creating the 'Brut', but the evidence suggests that he was a Welshman as he made considerable use of Welsh proverbs and sayings. In Peniarth 20 two or three later copyists added the entries for the years 1282-1332 to the main text. Myrddin a Gwenddydd A bardic grammar The manuscript finishes with a bardic grammar. Further Reading J.

Related: