background preloader

Get into teaching

Get into teaching
Related:  Sources of Information

Careers with music - general information | Incorporated Society of Musicians Friday 15 July 2011 A career with music is challenging and worthwhile, and offers a high level of job satisfaction for anyone with a strong interest in music. Music offers a wide variety of opportunities. There are performers and composers, teachers in schools and at home, administrators, publishers, record companies, instrument manufacturers, librarians, broadcasters and journalists. A career with music? The skills and experience required for each activity are quite specific; but many people occupy more than one niche during their careers. When you embark on your musical career, ISM membership is the best way to equip yourself with legal and professional backing, technical advice and essential insurance schemes, as well as opportunities for professional development. To find out more, browse through the subjects listed below. And finally... Performing Many young musicians aspire to a solo career. Any performing career demands very high standards, simply because the competition is so intense.

Music Education Council - Home The national curriculum The ‘basic’ school curriculum includes the ‘national curriculum’, as well as religious education and sex education. The national curriculum is a set of subjects and standards used by primary and secondary schools so children learn the same things. It covers what subjects are taught and the standards children should reach in each subject. Other types of school like academies and private schools don’t have to follow the national curriculum. The national curriculum is organised into blocks of years called ‘key stages’ (KS). Assessments By the end of each summer term the school must write a report on your child’s progress and talk it through with you.

National Union of Teachers - NUT Postgraduate study in teaching and education | – course information and advice for students in Ireland and Northern Ireland To teach at primary or secondary level in Ireland, you'll probably need a postgraduate qualification to get started in your career. For most teaching jobs in the Republic and Northern Ireland, you will need to have a teaching qualification; this normally means undertaking a postgraduate conversion course. Competition for permanent positions is strong and newly qualified teachers generally take substitute and temporary positions to build up experience. For primary level teaching in the Republic of Ireland, you will need a Bachelor of Education (BEd) or a postgraduate teaching qualification (eg Graduate Diploma in Education). For second-level teaching you will need a postgraduate diploma in Education (previously known as the Higher Diploma in Education). The options Teacher training in the Republic of Ireland The Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary Teaching) is on offer at four institutions. Teacher training in Northern Ireland Conversion courses Republic of Ireland Northern Ireland Funding - physical education and coaching information site New plans to attract and train maths and physics teachers The Prime Minister has set out plans to transform maths and physics teaching in our schools. It aims to: train thousands of new teachers fast track professionals into the classroom attract the country’s top graduates and university fellows Today’s announcements will see £67 million invested over 5 years to open up routes into maths and physics teaching. Today’s announcement includes plans to boost the skills of 15,000 existing non-specialist teachers and attract up to 2,500 additional specialist maths and physics teachers over the next 5 years. Bringing former teachers back into the classroom From next month, one-to-one support will be available to all trained maths and physics teachers seeking to return to the profession. access to specialist subject training courses to update their curriculum knowledge help with applications and interview preparation support to access recent classroom experience to make sure they are classroom ready Visit Get into Teaching for more information.

Professional skills tests Music teacher job information Page Content Music teacher Hours30-40 per weekStarting salaryVariable Music teachers give music lessons to people of all ages and abilities. Patience and encouragement will help you to teach pupils at a pace that is right for them. There are different entry requirements for this job, depending on whether you want to teach in a music college, primary school, secondary school, or offer private tuition. WorkDesc Work activities As a music teacher, your work would vary depending on the type of teaching you do. Private teaching You would work with individuals or small groups of people, either in your own home, in the pupil's home or at other venues such as community centres. plan lessons to suit the individual needs of each group or pupilteach pupils to play an instrument and to read and understand musichelp pupils prepare for music exams, competitions and performances You could teach music in schools on a freelance basis as a visiting music teacher or through a music education hub. HoursDesc Income

How do you become a teacher | TARGETpostgrad To work as a teacher of children from age five to sixteen in state maintained schools (excluding academies and free schools) in England and Wales you need to have professional qualified teacher status (QTS). To be awarded QTS by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) you must complete a period of training, such as a one-year Professional or Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) course or school-centred training, which recommends you for QTS. This is known as initial teacher training (ITT). Newly qualified teachers (NQTs) then complete a period of induction, which is the first year of employment as a teacher in a school. NQTs are encouraged to start their induction as soon as possible after gaining QTS but there's no set time limit for starting or completing the induction. Teachers in independent schools aren't required to have QTS, but most do. What age range do you want to teach? All teachers with QTS are trained to teach within one of the following phases:

Applying for postgraduate initial teacher training | TARGETpostgrad Most initial teacher training programmes use the UCAS Teacher Training website for applications. For other programmes, you may need to apply directly to the provider. As part of the application process, you'll also need to arrange to sit the professional skills tests. What is the application process? For university/college-led PGCEs, SCITTs and School Direct throughout England and Wales, you apply through UCAS Teacher Training. The system operates in two phases: Apply 1: You can make up to three choices, which must all be submitted at the same time. Apply 2: This phase opens on 9 November. Find out how to write a great application for teacher training and what to expect from the teacher training interview and selection day Applications for PGDE courses in Scotland are made through the undergraduate UCAS system which will open in the autumn. How do you apply to Teach First? Applications are made online through the Teach First site. How do you apply for early years initial teacher training?

Overseas applicants | DfE Get Into Teaching As a talented, trained and qualified overseas maths, physics, French, German or Spanish teacher, you are in demand. Making the move to England is a great way to gain experience and build your resumé. The education system in England is dynamic and diverse, where talented teachers can progress quickly. Qualified teachers in maths or physics If you are a fully qualified overseas teacher in maths or physics, register with us – your details will then be shared with school networks that are looking to recruit highly skilled teachers in England. Qualified teachers in French, German or Spanish If you are a fully qualified overseas teacher in French, German or Spanish and interested in teaching in England please register with us. Register now Gaining qualified teacher status To be a qualified teacher in England, you will need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS).