Singapore spends $3.1 billion on stress-related illnesses annually: Study, Health News
SINGAPORE - A study has found that Singapore spends about US$2.3 billion (S$3.1 billion), or 18 per cent, of its total healthcare expenditure on stress-related illnesses annually. This put the nation's proportion of expenditure on stress-related illnesses second-highest out of the nine regions studied in the report, coming just 0.8 per cent behind Australia's 18.8 per cent. The other seven regions were Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States. The report, which was produced by healthcare consultancy firm Asia Care Group on behalf of health insurance and services company Cigna, was published on Thursday (Nov 21). Globally, 84 per cent of people surveyed in past studies admitted to feeling stressed, said Cigna's regional chief executive officer Julian Mengual, while 64 per cent reported that they operated in an "always on" environment. "Stress is a big issue...
Related: PSY108 - Stress
• Let's Chase the Stress Away!
• Caregiver Stress 101
• Managing That Stress: For Young Adults
• What is stress to working adults, and how to handle stress?