A Simple CSS Framework Toast is a CSS framework made as simple as it can be, but no simpler. A plain-English responsive grid makes simple layouts a breeze, and with box-sizing you can add padding and borders to the grid, without breaking a single thing. .unit.one-of-four .unit.one-of-three Less Framework 4 I called Less Framework "a CSS grid system for designing adaptive websites". It was basically a fixed-width grid that adapted to a couple of then popular screen widths by shedding some of its columns. It also had matching typographic presets to go with it, built with a modular scale based on the golden ratio. Gridlock / Projects / Ben Plum Syntax Gridlock features three distinct grid sizes that correspond to specific screen sizes: desktop, tablet and mobile. Desktop features a full 12 or 16 column grid, tablet snaps down to 6 or 8, and mobile contains only 3. The syntax is simple and easily read: [target device]-[column count].
Foundation: HTML Templates News or Magazine This template puts a focus on bold images, perfect for a magazine style site with eye catching content. Your stories are easy to find with large feature blocks. See Demo Golden Grid System GGS was my next step after Less Framework. Instead of a fixed-width grid, it used a fully fluid-width one, without even a maximum width. The resources it was published with are still available on GitHub. The idea was to take a 18-column grid, use the outermost columns as margins, and use the remaining 16 to lay elements out. On smaller screens the 16 columns could be folded into 8, 4 and 2. This behaviour was inspired by Massimo Vignelli's Unigrid system.
Rolling Your Own Grid Layouts on the Fly Without a Framework Do you hate CSS grid frameworks but love the rapid layout benefits that they provide? Do you struggle with the math and code necessary to create your own flexible multi-column layouts on the fly? Today we’re going to walk you through creating your own basic, reusable system for creating multiple columns that you can implement anywhere any time with only a few lines of code. No bloated code or non-sematic class names required! Grid Frameworks: Pros and Cons I’m a pretty big fan of CSS grid frameworks.
Andy Clarke at Smashing Conference In his talk at Smashing Conference, Andy Clarke talks about how responsive design needs to transcend designers, we need to rework our design process, and we need to be more honest and open with our clients. Responsive design is not just our problem We need to fix our design process How to tell your client they’re an idiot to their face and not get fired. Responsive design is not just our problem Building a Responsive Layout With Skeleton: Starting Out Dave Gamache's Skeleton Boilerplate provides the perfect foundations upon which to build responsive websites rapidly and reliably. We're going to use Skeleton and build a responsive page based on the Magazine design featured on Webdesigntuts+ recently. We'll be looking at everything from multiple background images, through to media queries, flexible media and mobile-friendly navigation. Let's get started! First Steps In this first video we'll download the Skeleton Boilerplate and prepare our project.
A Simple CSS Framework Toast is a CSS framework made as simple as it can be, but no simpler. A plain-English responsive grid makes simple layouts a breeze, and with box-sizing you can add padding and borders to the grid, without breaking a single thing. .unit.one-of-four .unit.one-of-three .unit.two-of-three .unit.one-of-two Don't Overthink It Grids The vast majority of websites out there use a grid. They may not explicitly have a grid system in place, but if they have a "main content area" floated to the left a "sidebar" floated to the right, it's a simple grid. If a more complex layout presents itself, people often reach for a grid framework. They assume grids are these super difficult things best left to super CSS nerds. That idea is perpetuated by the fact that a lot of the grid systems they reach for are very complicated. Here's how I build grids.
A pixel is not a pixel is not a pixel Page last changed today Yesterday John Gruber wrote about the upped pixel density in the upcoming iPhone (960x640 instead of 480x320), and why Apple did this. He also wondered what the consequences for web developers would be. Now I happen to be deeply engaged in cross-browser research of widths and heights on mobile phones, and can state with reasonable certainty that in 99% of the cases these changes will not impact web developers at all. The remaining 1% could be much more tricky, but I expect Apple to cater to this problem by inserting an intermediate layer of pixels.
Sass: CSS Pre-Processsor Before you can use Sass, you need to set it up on your project. If you want to just browse here, go ahead, but we recommend you go install Sass first. Go here if you want to learn how to get everything setup.