National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C., États-Unis Founded in 1981 and opened in 1987, the National Museum of Women in the Arts (NMWA) is the only museum solely dedicated to celebrating the achievements of women in the visual, performing and literary arts. The museum’s collection features 5,000 works from the 16th century to the present created by more than 1,000 artists, including Mary Cassatt, Frida Kahlo, Alma Thomas, Lee Krasner, Louise Bourgeois, Chakaia Booker, and Nan Goldin, along with special collections of 18th-century silver tableware, botanical prints, and artists’ books. NWMA brings recognition to the achievements of women artists of all periods and nationalities by exhibiting, preserving, acquiring, and researching art by women and by teaching the public about their accomplishments.
Visite de la cité antique de Pergamos Pergamon or Pergamum, also referred to by its modern Greek form Pergamos, was a rich and powerful ancient Greek city in Mysia. It is located 26 kilometres from the modern coastline of the Aegean Sea on a promontory on the north side of the river Caicus and northwest of the modern city of Bergama, Turkey.During the Hellenistic period, it became the capital of the Kingdom of Pergamon under the Attalid dynasty in 281–133 BC, who transformed it into one of the major cultural centres of the Greek world. Many remains of its impressive monuments can still be seen and especially the outstanding masterpiece of the Pergamon Altar. Pergamon was the northernmost of the seven churches of Asia cited in the New Testament Book of Revelation.The city is centered around a 335-metre-high mesa of andesite which formed its acropolis. This mesa falls away sharply on the north, west, and east sides, but three natural terraces on the south side provide a route up to the top.
BIOGRAPHY - Musée national Picasso-Paris Pablo Picasso,The artist’s mother and sister embroidering, 1896.Watercolour, brown ink and white gouache highlights on coarse-grained watercolour vellum paper, 16,6 x 22,3 cm.Acceptance in lieu, 1979, MP409 (front).© Succession Picasso 2013.Print : RMN-Grand Palais / Thierry Le Mage. Direct links : 1891-1895 : La Coruña1895-1904 : Barcelona / Paris / Madrid1904-1907 : around Les demoiselles d’Avignon1908-1915 : the cubism adventure1915-1924 : the war and after, Russian ballets and classicism1924-1935 : Picasso and the Surrealists1936-1939 : the Spanish civil war1939-1945 : war and occupation1946-1954 : the « joie de vivre »1954-1967 : Picasso among masters1968-1973 : final years Pablo Picasso,Notebook 1, page 1 back: Portrait of Carlos Casagemas, winter 1899-1900.Charcoal on paper, 30.5 x 21 cm.Acceptance in lieu, 1990, MP1990-93 (1v).© Succession Picasso 2013.Print : RMN-Grand Palais / Madeleine Coursaget. 1880-1891 : Málaga
Musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac, Paris, France In the heart of Paris's museum land, neighbouring the Louvre and the Musée d’Orsay, a few minutes from the Grand and Petit Palais, the Palais de Tokyo and the Musée d’art moderne de la Ville de Paris, the Musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac has an exceptional location on the banks of the River Seine, at the foot of the Eiffel Tower. The arts of Africa, Oceania, Asia, and the Americas now form part of the historical and artistic grand tour of the capital. The Musée du quai Branly - Jacques Chirac is an innovative cultural institution - museum, educational and research centre, and public living space all in one. Built on one of the last available sites in the heart of Paris, the architectural design of this original project is the work of Jean Nouvel.
Museo Dolores Olmedo, Mexico Located in Xochimilco, at Mexico City's southern extreme, the Dolores Olmedo Museum is housed in a rambling stone structure, originally dating from the Sixteenth Century, formerly known as the Hacienda La Noria.By donating her art collection to the people of Mexico, Dolores Olmedo Pati F1o (1908-2002) created a cohesive whole, where treasures of the fine arts were incorporated into colonial construction added during the Seventeenth Century, surrounded by lush gardens, shaded by singularly Mexican plant species, and inhabited by gorgeous animals like the magical peacocks--seemingly confected of living jewels and the enigmatic hairless Xoloiztcuintle dogs, a Precolumbian breed that is unique to behold and warm to the touch. Since the museum opened its doors to the public in September of 1994, its greatest treasure is its painting.
MoMA The Museum of Modern Art, New York, United States Founded in 1929, The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in midtown Manhattan was the first museum devoted to the modern era. Today MoMA’s rich and varied collection offers a panoramic overview of modern and contemporary art, from the innovative European painting and sculpture of the 1880s to today's film, design, and performance art. From an initial gift of eight prints and one drawing, the collection has grown to include over 150,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, architectural models and drawings, and design objects; approximately 22,000 films and four million film stills; and, in its Library and Archives, over 300,000 books, artist books, and periodicals, and extensive individual files on more than 70,000 artists. Collection highlights include Claude Monet’s Water Lilies, Vincent van Gogh’s The Starry Night, and Pablo Picasso’s Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, along with more recent works by Andy Warhol, Elizabeth Murray, Cindy Sherman, and many others.
Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy The Uffizi was designed by Giorgio Vasari in 1560 for Cosimo I de'Medici to house the Granducal Magistratures of Tuscany. Over time, the top floor loggia became an exhibition of the dynastic collection of ancient sculpture, artwork and artifacts. The eastern wing of the building incorporated the ancient Florentine church of San Pier Scheraggio and the wing to the west connected with two existing buildings, the Mint and the Loggia dei Lanzi. Vasari conceived an architectural module to be repeated all along the building: a portico flanked by two pillars, with niches on the ground floor and three windows on the upper story.
Art at The Collection The Usher Gallery is Lincolnshire’s premier art gallery, officially opened in 1927 following a bequest to the City by Lincoln jeweller James Ward Usher. Following significant redevelopment in 2010, all visitors can now enter the gallery through a fully accessible glass pavilion that gives excellent views of its sister museum and Temple Gardens. Inside, a new lift allows significantly improved access to the upper galleries and their delights. The Usher Gallery combines displays from its permanent collections of fine arts, decorative arts and horology, enhanced by loans of acclaimed works from national collections, with a vibrant programme of temporary exhibitions.