background preloader

One on One ESL Lessons

Facebook Twitter

Private Teaching. One To One Teaching Activities « ESL Treasure. People watchingGo for a walk outside or look out of the window and analyses passers-by.

One To One Teaching Activities « ESL Treasure

Have your student create crazy stories about people and be creative. Picture analysisTake in pictures for your students to analyses. Take the pressure off yourself and get them thinking. DialoguePrepare some dialogues or co-write some which are relevant to the topic of your lesson. Go through them together, playing a part each then switching roles. Reading comprehensionUse reading materials in your one to on lessons. HangmanThis is a classic word game whereby you think of a sentence, set out the underscores on the paper where a letter goes and have them attempt to guess the phrase. Word cardsPrepare some word cards to make sentences with. BattleshipsGive your student a blank piece of A4 paper. Use the relevant vocabulary according to your grammar point. BrainstormPick a theme or grammar point and brainstorm examples and ideas together on the board. Roll the diceBring a dice to the lesson. Teaching One to One - Tips. Teaching one to one is something most English teachers will do sooner or later.

Teaching One to One - Tips

Teaching one to one can help improve your teaching salary, and give you some flexibility in scheduling. Of course, teaching one to one has its drawbacks as well. Here's a quick rundown on the art of teaching English one to one, as well as some strategies and tips to help you get started or improve your one to one teaching skills. Before you Get Started Before you begin teaching one on one you'll need to do a needs analysis to be effective. Doing a Needs Analysis Have a short conversation in English to warm things up.

Planning One to One Lessons Once you've provided a needs analysis, you can decide on specific outcomes for your lessons. Instead of 'Improve listening skills': Improve comprehension skills at conferences by focusing on language commonly used in presentations. Don't Go it Alone: 5 Strategies for Owning One-to-One Lessons. All By Myself: The Pros and Cons of Teaching One-on-One Lessons. Teaching English One-on-One: Tips and Tricks for a Perfect Lesson. Teacher zones: Adult zone (Resource Type) Private Lessons & How To Keep Them. When I was teaching during term time for a large well-known language school in the south of Spain, like most teachers I had a lot of classes and got to know my adult students particularly well, which meant getting invited out for social gatherings and asked for advice when it came to using English professionally.

I was always happy to oblige, even went out of my way to help students and used this as a way of networking and expanding my potential customer base. Why? Private lessons During term-time you’ll probably be too busy to even think about taking on private classes but during the summer holidays it can be a long expensive time for an unemployed teacher. I found that 90% of my private lessons came from students I was teaching during term-time in school and the other 10% were through those 90% students. Tips To Get Your Private Lessons Show Them You Care Finally 5. Conflict? Some teachers may worry that this could conflict with the school that they teach at but it’s simple.

It’s easy.