background preloader

Moving to the UK

Facebook Twitter

Overseas Vote | Home. Change your name by deed poll. You’ll need to do one of the following: use the official forms - do this if you want the name put on the official register (sometimes called being ‘enrolled’) make your own deed poll use a specialist agency or a solicitor Use the official forms You can put your new name on public record by ‘enrolling’ it at the Royal Courts of Justice. This costs £36. Download the guidance and forms for changing an adult’s name - this includes the notification form for The Gazette.

Send your forms and documents to: Queen’s Bench Division Action Department The Royal Courts of Justice Strand London WC2A 2LL Make your own deed poll If you don’t want to register your deed poll, you can make your own instead, using the following wording: “I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name]. Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of [witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address]. Change your name by deed poll. You don’t have to follow a legal process to start using a new name. But you might need a ‘deed poll’ to apply for or to change official documents like your passport or driving licence. Get a deed poll A deed poll is a legal document that proves a change of name.

You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling. It doesn’t cost anything to make your own deed poll. Specialist agencies and solicitors may charge a fee to do it for you. You must be 18 or over to make a deed poll. There are extra rules about changing a child’s name. Marriage and civil partnership You don’t need a deed poll to take your partner’s surname.

If you divorce or end your civil partnership You may be able to go back to your original name by showing record-holders either your: marriage certificate and decree absolute civil partnership certificate and final order Some organisations won’t change your name back without a deed poll.