The term is derived from Ancient Greek ζῷον, zōon, i.e. "animal" and λόγος, logos, i.e. "knowledge, study". How the Coelacanth Works. Sixty-five million years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, carnivorous fish that could stretch up to 6.5 feet (2 meters) long and tipped the scales at about 200 pounds (91 kilograms) filled the seas.
These mysterious creatures were called coelacanths (SEEL-uh-kanths), and there were 90 species of its kind. Their craniums contained a mere speck of brain matter — the brain occupied only 1.5 percent of the cranial space and the other 98.5 percent was fat [sources: National Geographic, Smithsonian]. Everyone assumed coelacanths went the way of the dinosaurs and faded into extinction. But in 1938, one was discovered in the waters off of Africa's east coast. A second species of coelacanth was found in 1997 in Indonesia. Nature Anatomy: A Glorious Illustrated Love Letter to Curiosity and the Magic of Our World. “A writer is a professional observer,” Susan Sontag noted in her spectacular lecture on literature.
This sea creature hasn't been spotted since 1984! Tardigrade. Tardigrades (also known as waterbears or moss piglets) are water-dwelling, segmented micro-animals, with eight legs. They were first discovered by the German pastor Johann August Ephraim Goeze in 1773.
The name Tardigrada (meaning "slow stepper") was given three years later by the Italian biologist Lazzaro Spallanzani. Since 1778, over 1,150 tardigrade species have been identified. Tardigrades can survive in extreme environments. The tardigrade genome has been sequenced, and it has the most foreign DNA of any animal. Scientists have sequenced the entire genome of the tardigrade, AKA the water bear, for the first time.
And their results suggest that this weird little creature has the most foreign genes of any animal studied so far – or to put it another way, roughly one-sixth of the tardigrade's genome was stolen from other species. Weird Animal Photos: 7 Bizarre Creatures. 12 Outrageous Facts About Octopuses. The octopus is a magnificent and mysterious creature.
They’re well known for their eight tentacles, but did you know these other outstanding facts? Need a name for your friendly neighborhood group of octopi? Octopi might not be the word you actually want. It came from a time when grammarians tried to regulate English to have similar endings to Latin. Nature's 'true' colours. Credit: iStock In the mid-1900s, the first lens replacement surgery in the human eye was carried out.
This launched a 50-year period of growth and experimentation that would establish the most commonly-used eye surgery procedure in the world today. But when the surgery was first developed, scientists didn’t realise the complexity of the human eye. Scientists weren’t aware, for example, that the human eye lens had evolved the ability to absorb UV light (ultraviolet) and protect the retina from its damaging effects. This evolutionary achievement certainly warrants merit – imagine the state of our eyes without that basic, natural protection from UV rays – but one can’t help wondering how different our world would look if we had the ability to see UV light. For some people in the world, this fantasy is actually their reality. Many animals have evolved the ability to see colours we could hardly dream of. However, humans are far from exceptional in the colour vision arena of the animal world. 15 Animals With Crazy Sex Lives. Birds do it, bees do it—and sometimes it gets kinky. 1.
Hippopotamuses Randy male hippos pull out all the stops to compete for the few eligible females in the pod: Bulls spin their tails as they urinate and defecate, spraying the vicinity with waste. 2. 17 Wild Facts About Horses. "A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.
" That's what Ovid said 2000 years ago—and American Pharoah just proved him right. We've depended on horses for thousands of years for more than just a heart-pounding race. Learning about these excellent equines is more than just horseplay. Zoology. Zoology (/zoʊˈɒlədʒi/, zoh AHL uh jee) or animal biology, is the branch of biology that relates to the animal kingdom, including the structure, embryology, evolution, classification, habits, and distribution of all animals, both living and extinct.
The term is derived from Ancient Greek ζῷον, zōon, i.e. "animal" and λόγος, logos, i.e. "knowledge, study". History Ancient history to Darwin