background preloader

Demographics of Libya

Facebook Twitter

Demographics of Libya. Demographics of Libya. Libyan people. The Libyan people reside in Libya, a country located on the Mediterranean coast of North Africa, to the west of and adjacent to Egypt.

Libyan people

Ethnically, the Libyan population is mainly Berber, and culturally, Berbers culture]]. They are descendants of the Arabs who conquered and emigrated to Libya starting in the seventh century after Christ. There is also a small number of Berbers, who retain their own culture. According to DNA studies, 90% of the Arab Libyan population descended from the Arab-Berber inter-ethnic mixture[2] and the remaining 10% are Phoenicians, Black Africans (especially in the South of the country) and other North African, Asian and European peoples. The 2012 worldwide Libyan population is estimated at 7 million and the ethnic Arab Libyan population from that estimate is around 6.4 million after the Libyan civil war. History[edit] File:Libya ethnic.svg. Cancel Edit Delete Preview revert Text of the note (may include Wiki markup) Could not save your note (edit conflict or other problem).

File:Libya ethnic.svg

Please copy the text in the edit box below and insert it manually by editing this page. Upon submitting the note will be published multi-licensed under the terms of the CC-BY-SA-3.0 license and of the GFDL, versions 1.2, 1.3, or any later version. See our terms of use for more details. Add a note Draw a rectangle onto the image above (press the left mouse button, then drag and release). Save To modify annotations, your browser needs to have the XMLHttpRequest object. [[MediaWiki talk:Gadget-ImageAnnotator.js|Adding image note]]$1 [[MediaWiki talk:Gadget-ImageAnnotator.js|Changing image note]]$1 [[MediaWiki talk:Gadget-ImageAnnotator.js|Removing image note]]$1. Ethnic groups of Libya. Languages of Libya. The de facto official language of Libya is Modern Standard Arabic.

Languages of Libya

The majority of the population, about 95%, has one of the many varieties of Arabic as native language, most prominently Libyan Arabic, but also Egyptian Arabic, Tunisian Arabic and other varieties. Minority languages[edit] Besides Arabic, several Berber languages are spoken as well by ca. 305,000 speakers, the most significant group is concentrated in the Tripolitanian region ; Nafusi and Zuwara.[1] It is also spoken in some oasis such as Ghadamès, Awjilah, Sawknah. Tamahaq is spoken by the Tuaregs. In addition, Domari, an Indo-Iranian language is spoken by ca. 33,000 speakers and Tedaga, a Saharan, by a few thousands.[2] The former dictator Muammar Gaddafi has denied the existence of Berbers as a separate ethnicity, and called Berbers a "product of colonialism" created by the West to divide Libya.

Foreign languages[edit] References[edit] File:Libya ethnic.svg. Languages of Libya. Religion in Libya. Other than the overwhelming majority of Sunni Muslims, there are also small Christian communities, composed exclusively of foreigners.

Religion in Libya

Religion in Libya. Education in Libya. Primary education is both free and compulsory in Libya.

Education in Libya

Children between the ages of 6 and 15 attend primary school and then attend secondary school for three additional years (15- to 18-year-olds). According to figures reported for the year 2000, approximately 766,807 students attended primary school and had 97,334 teachers; approximately 717,000 students were enrolled in secondary, technical, and vocational schools; and about 287,172 students were enrolled in Libya’s universities.[1] In 2001 public expenditures on education amounted to about 2.7 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP). Although no figures were found for government expenditures on education, Libyan television announced on September 1, 2004, that a new ministry for education had been formed, the General People’s Committee for Higher Education.[1] References[edit] External links[edit]

Education in Libya. Health in Libya. Health care is provided to all citizens.

Health in Libya

Health, training, rehabilitation, education, housing, family issues, and disability and old-age benefits are all regulated by “Decision No. 111” (dated December 9, 1999) of the General People’s Committee on the Promulgation of the By-Law Enforcement Law No. 20 of 1998 on the Social Care Fund. The health care system is not purely state-run, having very small private hospitals in some areas. In comparison to other states in the Middle East, the health status of the population is above average. Childhood immunization is almost universal. The clean water supply has increased, and sanitation has been improved. The number of medical doctors and dentists reportedly increased sevenfold between 1970 and 1985, producing a ratio of one doctor per 673 citizens.

The healthcare system did suffer from the 2011 conflict and is recovering slowly.[3] Health in Libya.