The Higgs boson
What is the Higgs boson particle, the hunt for the Higgs boson and developments since the announcement of it's discovery at CERN on 4th July 2012. Jul 11
The Best Science Online
Scientists who announced two months ago observations of the elusive Higgs boson , the so-called "God particle," have had their research published in the peer-reviewed Physics Letters B, along with an astounding list of thousands of authors. More than 5,000 researchers around the world are said to have contributed to the landmark studies by the CMS and ATLAS teams working at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). They said on July 4 the new boson they had observed was consistent with the Higgs, believed to be responsible for imparting all elementary particles in the universe with mass. Two articles by the teams are each about 30 pages long. Higgs boson posts on CNET
In what is perhaps a sign of the growing Islamic extremism in the country, Pakistan 's only Nobel laureate, who helped develop the theoretical framework that led to the apparent discovery of the subatomic "God particle" last week, is being largely scorned in his homeland because of his religious affiliation. Adbus Salam, who died in 1996, was once hailed as a national hero for his pioneering work in physics and his contribution to Pakistan's nuclear programme. Now his name is stricken from school textbooks because he was a member of the Ahmadi sect that has been persecuted by the government and targeted by Taliban militants, who view them as heretics. Their plight – along with that of Pakistan's other religious minorities, such as Shiite Muslims and Hindus – has deepened in recent years as hardline interpretations of Islam have gained ground and militants have stepped up attacks against groups they oppose. The majority of Pakistan's citizens are Sunni Muslims. Higgs boson physicist shunned in Pakistan | Science
(AP) While much of the world was celebrating the international cooperation that led to last week's breakthrough in identifying the existence of the Higgs boson particle, many in India were smarting over what they saw as a slight against one of their greatest scientists. Media covering the story gave lots of credit to British physicist Peter Higgs for theorizing the elusive subatomic "God particle," but little was said about Satyendranath Bose, the Indian after whom the boson is named. Despite the fact that Bose had little direct involvement in theorizing the Higgs boson itself, in India the lack of attention given to one of their own was seen as an insult too big to ignore. "He is a forgotten hero," the government lamented in a lengthy statement, noting that Bose was never awarded a Nobel Prize though "at least 10 scientists have been awarded the Nobel" in the same field. India: less about Higgs, more about the boson
What would the Higgs boson-like particle sound like?
The particle, set to music, plays like a jaunty tango. In the score of the sonification, the bump corresponding to the Higgs boson is represented by an F note two octaves above the preceding F note, a C representing the peak of the Higgs, and a E note. (Domenico Vicinanza via Discovery News) The discovery of the Higgs boson was a singular event, but it was also the product of a long effort: the Atlas project , which used CERN's Large Hadron Collider to analyze particle acceleration. The existence of the Higgs was confirmed -- or, well, the existence of a particle that " looks for all the world " to be the Higgs was confirmed -- when groups of researchers detected a "bump" corresponding to a particle weighing 126 GeV , making it consistent with Dr. Here's What the Higgs Boson Sounds Like - Megan Garber
god seen by naked human eye using THC by Jul 12
Image of the ATLAS experiment's preliminary data that was turned into a musical score by Vicinanza. The area marked in a red circle (notes 25-27, or 3.5 seconds into the music) is a Higgs particle. Top image, front page image, & below music tracks courtesy Domenico Vicinanza. Hear a Higgs through its data
What is the Higgs boson?
The hunt for the Higgs boson particle
4th July 2012: the Higgs is found!
Higgs bosun: Is it an imposter?
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, itwill instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. – The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy I am delighted to report, we think we might know. I am thrilled to announce, we think we are getting closer to a fundamental understanding of something we cannot, shall not, will not ever really get all that close to understanding, by nature of the fact that if you could get all that close to it, it wouldn’t be the thing you think it is in the first place. Isn’t life grand? How to make love to a boson | Notes and Errata by Mark Morford
So the “God Particle” has a 99.9% probability exists…… what does this mean? Simply put it has improbability of 0.1%. Let us compare this to a probability that has many South Africans riveted week after week. The Higgs Boson, The Universe, Probability Factors
The Goddamn particle and the prophets of CERN: Some thoughts on the Higgs Boson