East Lothian. East Lothian (Scots: Aest Lowden, Scottish Gaelic: Lodainn an Ear), is one of the 32 council areas of Scotland, and a lieutenancy area. It borders the City of Edinburgh, Midlothian and the Scottish Borders. Its administrative centre is Haddington, although its largest town is Musselburgh. East Lothian is also the name of registration county, which has different boundaries to the council area. When abolished, for local government purposes, in 1975, the county of East Lothian bordered the county of Midlothian to the west, and the county of Berwick to the south. Places of interest Towns and villages Civil Parishes East Lothian or Haddingtonshire Civil Parish map. Notable people from East Lothian Sports personalities from East Lothian Local media East Lothian is served by two local paid-for weekly newspapers, the East Lothian Courier and the East Lothian News.
East Lothian Council East Lothian Council is based at John Muir House, Haddington. Scotfax: Haddingtonshire Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland. Overview of East Lothian. East-lothian-factsheet - east-lothian-factsheet.pdf. East Lothian. Officially the sunniest area of Scotland, East Lothian combines the best of Scotland in miniature! The most dramatic part of the region is undoubtedly the 40 or so miles of coastline running from Musselburgh - all but joined onto Edinburgh - round to Dunbar.
Here you'll find golden beaches such as those at Gullane, Yellowcraig and Dunbar, spectacular cliffs, plus the world's finest selection of links golf courses including Gullane and North Berwick. Other popular attractions include studying the wildlife at North Berwick's award-winning Scottish Seabird Centre, viewing Scotland's Concorde up close at The National Museum of Flight at East Fortune, enjoying a flutter on the horse racing at Musselburgh and of course, enjoying a wee dram at Glenkinchie Distillery at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills.
All of the region is within easy day-trip range from the capital an overnight stay will let you explore it properly. East Lothian Heritage - About. Young Scot East Lothian - Your Local Pages - Young Scot. Old Roads of Scotland. General Observations on the County of Haddington p. 374 Statute Labour p. 375 Roads p. 380 Offences, including those relating to roads e.g. furious driving Aberlady OSA No mention of roads. NSA p. 256 The nearest market is Haddington although much of the grain is taken to Dalkeith and Edinburgh where higher prices can be obtained. There is a daily post, and a coach between North Berwick and Edinburgh as well as a carrier. Roads are very good and allow more goods to be carted to market. Forty years ago the roads were very rough. Coal used as fuel. Athelstaneford OSA Haddington market used. NSA No particular mention of roads. Bolton OSA No mention of roads. NSA p. 274 There is a possibility that the Romans were in this area.
Dirleton OSA ; also ferry There is a poetic description of passing coaches where the "rocks sound and shake as carriages pass along. " NSA Haddington is the nearest market town although much of the grain is taken to Edinburgh. Haddington Humbie North Berwick. Welcome. East Lothian walks. Immediately adjacent to Edinburgh is East Lothian. Perhaps best known for its links golf courses, this is also a region with much to offer the walker. The coastline is perhaps the greatest attraction, with mile upon mile of glorious sandy beaches, dunes and nature reserves. The coastal planes are dominated by a number of individual, small but steep hills such as North Berwick Law and Traprain Law, which are superb viewpoints, whilst further inland are the more extensive, rolling moorlands of the Lammermuirs. Not the least attractive aspect of East Lothian are the towns and villages.
Gullane and Dirleton are both worth a visit, whilst amongst the towns North Berwick has the Scottish Seabird Centre as well as some fine buildings and many art galleries, and Dunbar boasts the childhood home of John Muir, the father of conservation. Gardens open in East Lothian. Gardens open in East Lothian - click to view ©Copyright 2012, Scotland's Gardens. All Rights Reserved. Scotlands Gardens, 42a North Castle Street, Edinburgh, EH2 3BN, Tel: 0131 226 3714 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Scottish Charity number SC011337 Website Design by Darren Unwin Sponsored by: BESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswyBESbswy. Welcome. East Lothian Tourism and Holidays: 51 Things to Do in East Lothian | TripAdvisor. The Wing, Bed and Breakfast (Murron2004, Apr 2010) Musselburgh (Elizabuff, Jul 2011) North Berwick (Alastair S, Apr 2008) Nungate Bridge (Lor2876, Aug 2008)
Eastlothianbeekeepers.org.uk. East Lothian Courier. East Lothian News. East Coast FM - East Lothian — Community Radio By The Community. East Lothian Council Homepage - Telephone: 01620 827827. Home | East Lothian Life. East Lothian Directory - A Directory of East Lothian Websites. Category:Towns in East Lothian. Towns and Villages.
With a population of more than 90,000 East Lothian is one of the most picturesque areas of Scotland. The County stretches from the eastern edge of Edinburgh to the waters of the North Sea. Rich in history, the past is kept alive with rugged castles, historic market towns and the remains of ancient settlements. The quality of the urban and rural environment is one of East Lothian's greatest assets with the most beautiful coastline and some of the finest farmland in Scotland. It is bounded on the south by the Lammermuir Hills and stretches eastwards to the boundary with Scottish Borders at Cockburnspath.
There are many places in which to base your stay in East Lothian from the coastal towns of North Berwick and Dunbar to the inland historic county town of Haddington. All with good access to Edinburgh, Edinburgh airport and the South. East Lothian is a golfer's paradise. Category:Towns in East Lothian. Haddington, East Lothian. The Royal Burgh of Haddington (Scots: Haidintoun) is a town in East Lothian, Scotland. It is the main administrative, cultural and geographical centre for East Lothian, which was known officially as Haddingtonshire before 1921. It lies about 20 miles (32 km) east of Edinburgh. The name Haddington is Anglo-Saxon, dating from the 6th or 7th century AD when the area was incorporated into the kingdom of Bernicia. The town, like the rest of the Lothian region, was ceded by King Edgar of England and became part of Scotland in the 10th century.
Haddington received burghal status, one of the earliest to do so, during the reign of David I (1124–1153), giving it trading rights which encouraged its growth into a market town. Economy Haddington is located predominantly on the north-east bank of the River Tyne, and was once famous for its mills. Nearby landmarks Nungate Bridge, Haddington St Mary's Collegiate Church Hailes Castle Sport and leisure Transport
Dunbar. Coordinates: Dunbar (Scots [dʌnˈbaɾ] ( )) is a town in East Lothian on the southeast coast of Scotland, approximately 28 miles (45 km) east of Edinburgh and 28 miles (45 km) from the English Border at Berwick-upon-Tweed. Dunbar is a former Royal Burgh and gave its name to an ecclesiastical and civil parish. The parish extends around 7½ miles east to west and is 3½ miles deep at greatest extent (12 x 5.5 kilometres) or 11¼ square miles (c. 3000 hectares) and contains the villages of West Barns, Belhaven, East Barns (abandoned) and several hamlets and farms. Its strategic position gave rise to a history full of incident and strife but Dunbar has become a quiet dormitory town popular with workers in nearby Edinburgh, who find it an affordable alternative to the capital itself.
The town is served by Dunbar railway station. History Early history It was then a king's vill and prison to Bishop Wilfrid. Scottish conquest Victoria Harbour and Castle ruins Later history 
North Berwick. Coordinates: North Berwick (Scottish Gaelic: Bearaig a Tuath) is a seaside town and former royal burgh in East Lothian, Scotland. It is situated on the south shore of the Firth of Forth, approximately 25 miles east north east of Edinburgh. North Berwick became a fashionable holiday resort in the 19th century because of its two sandy bays, the East (or Milsey) Bay and the West Bay, and continues to attract holiday makers to this day. Golf courses at the ends of each bay are open to visitors. History North Berwick East Bay The name North Berwick means North 'barley farmstead' ('bere' in Old English means 'barley' and 'wic' in Old English is 'farmstead'). A view east towards the town centre The same view during early snowfall in November Harbour at low tide English invaders in the Middle Ages led to the construction of nearby Tantallon Castle, and St Mary's Priory, nunnery, was built at North Berwick.
Islands Attractions A "Spring" Tide, West Bay West Bay front North Berwick.
Prestonpans. Coordinates: Prestonpans is a small town to the east of Edinburgh, Scotland, in the unitary council area of East Lothian. It had a population of 7,153, but many more have moved to the area since many new houses have been built. (East Lothian Council Census, 2001). It is the site of the 1745 Battle of Prestonpans, and has a history dating back to the 11th century. The town boasts some impressive examples of historical architecture, such as the Preston Tower and the doocot and the local Mercat Cross, which is the only one of its kind in Scotland which remains in its original form and location.
History Royal unicorn on Preston Cross According to certain stories Prestonpans was originally founded in the 11th century by a traveller named Althamer, who became shipwrecked on the local beach/coastal area. On 31 October 2004 innocence was publicly declared of 81 Scottish women convicted of being witches and executed in the 16th and 17th centuries. Industry Battle of Prestonpans
North Berwick Law. Geologically, the law is a volcanic plug of hard phonolitic trachyte rock of Carboniferous (Dinantian) age. It has survived the scraping glaciers of the ice age. It is a crag and tail with a prominent tail extending eastwards. The summit bears remnants of an Iron Age hill fort, and the ruins of later military buildings that were once used by lookouts in both the Napoleonic Wars, and in World War II. The famous whale's jawbone, pictured below right, collapsed in June 2005 after rotting away, and was removed by helicopter, much to the surprise of North Berwick residents. A jawbone has stood there since 1709, the last one having been there since 1933. On 26 June 2008, a fibreglass replica whale bone, the same size as the one that was removed in 2005, was airlifted into place to give North Berwick Law back its famous landmark. The funding for the replica was donated by an anonymous friend of North Berwick.
See also Gallery References External links Coordinates:
Traprain Law. Coordinates: Traprain Law from the north Traprain Law is a hill about 221m (724 feet) in elevation, located 6 km (3.7 mi) east of Haddington in East Lothian, Scotland. It is the site of an oppidum or hill fort, which covered at its maximum extent about 16 ha (40 acres) and must have been a veritable town. Whether it was a seasonal meeting place or permanent settlement is a matter of speculation. The hill was already a place of burial by around 1500 BC, and showed evidence of occupation and signs of ramparts after 1000 BC.
Archaeology A team led by Curle and Cree began the first excavations in 1914 and continued them until 1923, finding layers of fragmentary stone and timber houses under the turf. Traprain Treasure Most objects had been crushed and hacked to pieces, and only some were left intact. It had originally been thought that the objects had been brought back from a raid abroad, as the objects had been split up ready for division. Folklore See also
Bass Rock. Bass Rock, view from Tantallon courtyard Geography and geology Map of Bass Rock The island is a volcanic plug of phonolitic trachyte rock of Carboniferous (Dinantian) age. The rock was first recognised as an igneous intrusion by James Hutton, while Hugh Miller visited in 1847 and wrote about the Rock's geology in his book Edinburgh and its Neighbourhood, Geological and Historical: with The Geology of the Bass Rock. The Bass Rock stands over 100 m high in the Firth of Forth Islands Special Protection Area which covers some, but not all of the islands in the inner and outer Firth. The Bass Rock is a Site of Special Scientific Interest in its own right, due to its gannet colony. It is sometimes called "the Ailsa Craig of the East". It is of a similar geological form to nearby North Berwick Law, a hill on the mainland. There are a couple of related volcanic formations within nearby Edinburgh, namely Arthur's Seat and Castle Rock.
Surrounding islands History Bass Rock. Castles in East Lothian. Tantallon Castle. Tantallon Castle is a semi-ruined mid-14th-century fortress, located 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) east of North Berwick, in East Lothian, Scotland. It sits atop a promontory opposite the Bass Rock, looking out onto the Firth of Forth. The last medieval curtain wall castle to be constructed in Scotland, Tantallon comprises a single wall blocking off the headland, with the other three sides naturally protected by sea cliffs. Tantallon was built in the mid 14th century by William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas. It was passed to his illegitimate son, George Douglas, later created Earl of Angus, and despite several sieges, it remained the property of his descendants for much of its history. It was besieged by King James IV in 1491, and again by his successor James V in 1528, when extensive damage was done.
Tantallon saw action in the First Bishops' War in 1639, and again during Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1651, when it was once more severely damaged. Construction History Tantallon Castle. Dirleton Castle.
Hailes Castle. Hailes Castle. Torness Nuclear Power Station. Torness Nuclear Power Station. Battle of Pinkie Cleugh. Battle of Pinkie Cleugh. East Lothian Council Museums - Preserving and presenting cultural heritage. National Museum of Flight. National Museum of Flight. National Museum of Flight Feature Page on Undiscovered Scotland. Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum. Museum - 800 Years of History! East Lothian. William Dunbar. William Dunbar. John Knox. John Knox. Andrew Fletcher (politician) Andrew Fletcher of Saltoun. Muirfield. East Lothian - Scotland's Golf Coast - pure perfection since 1672.