PTguide- What's Happening in Port Townsend. Olympic National Park - index. 2012 FIRST FRIDAY LECTURE SERIES - — Lynda Mapes, a Seattle Times reporter specializing in environmental and Native American issues. | Olympic Peninsula. Enjoy Port Townsend | Visit Washington's Victorian Seaport & Arts Community. Port Townsend History. The City of Dreams, Port Townsend is one of the finest examples of a Victorian Seaport in the United States. Originally named 'Port Townshend' by Captain George Vancouver (for his friend the Marquis of Townshend) in 1792, Port Townsend was immediately recognized as a good, safe harbor, which it remains to this day.
The official settlement of the city took place on the 24th of April, 1851. Called the "City of Dreams" because of the early speculation that the city would be the largest harbor on the west coast, wealthy and prosperous, somehow though, those early dreams failed to materialize... For several thousand years the only occupants were native Indians.
American Indian tribes located in what is now Jefferson County in the mid-19th century included the Chemakum (or Chimacum), Hoh (a group of the Quileute), Klallam (or Clallam), Quinault and Twana (the Kilcid band - Anglicized: Quilcene). By the late 1800's Port Townsend was a well-known seaport, very active and banking on the future. Port Townsend, Washington. Port Townsend /ˈtaʊnzən/ is a city in Jefferson County, Washington, United States. The population was 9,113 at the 2010 census, an increase of 9.3% over the 2000 census. It is the county seat and only incorporated city of Jefferson County. In addition to its natural scenery at the northeast tip of the Olympic Peninsula, the city is also known for the many Victorian buildings remaining from its late 19th-century heyday, numerous annual cultural events, and as a maritime center for independent boatbuilders and related industries and crafts.
The Port Townsend Historic District is a U.S. National Historic Landmark District. History Port Townsend's downtown waterfront in the fog The bay was originally named "Port Townshend" by Captain George Vancouver (for his friend the Marquis of Townshend) in 1792. The official European-American settlement of the city of the same name took place on the 24th of April, 1851. Since the 1970s new residents, including many retirees, have moved to town.