background preloader

Forums

Facebook Twitter

Geekhack. Deskthority. R/MechanicalKeyboards (Reddit) Overclock.net. Terminology First, it's worth noting that modern keyboards use a matrix to detect when keys are pressed. This is required so each individual key (of which there may be over 100) doesn't need to be connected to the board controller separately. Ghosting The event when two keys on the board are pressed, and a third key that you didn't press is triggered. This is very rarely seen on even the cheapest modern boards, because manufacturers have the habit of limiting the rollover so that ghost keys are always blocked.

Key Blocking The event when maximum key rollover is reached and the computer doesn't register certain keys that are pressed. This can be a little hard to comprehend, so consider this example: Imagine the keys Q, W and E are set up on the board so that if you press Q and W then E might is triggered due to ghosting. Key Rollover (#KRO & NKRO) NKRO is the ideal rollover for a keyboard, no ghosting or key blocking issues and any number of key combinations can be used at the same time.

KBDmania. OTD [on the desk] Bit-Tech Mechanical Keyboards. I'm (possibly) after a new keyboard and looking for some advice. I know there are some other threads on mechanical keyboards but I'm still undecided. Main question: are there any decent mechanical keyboards under the £70+ range? The only reason I'm after a new keyboard is because I'm getting fed up of key mushyness but I'm not sure if I'm £70+ fed up yet. I hate how a lot of "gaming" keyboards look and I have no need for backlighting, macro keys etc.

I do game sometimes but I'm mostly just after something that feels nice to type on and preferably doesn't look awful (Logitech G- keyboards Keyboards I do like the look of: SteelSeries 7G (£90), SteelSeries 6GV2 (£70), whateverthisis (£70), Das Keyboard (£120), QPAD MK-80 (£100). There's also the Razer Black Widow (not ultimate) (£70) although I'm not so keen on that, and the Rosewill RK9000 but as far as I know it's US layout and not being sold here (~£65+international shipping). So: Have I missed any cheaper mechanical keyboards? How to navigate kbdlab.co.kr.