Gum Springs Historical Society and Museum. Gum Springs is the oldest African American Community in Fairfax County, formaly established in 1833.
General information. Beach Trail is closed until May 8th to allow nearby nesting Osprey to become established.
Also, Bay View Trail is open to the marshland boardwalk. The boardwalk is closed for repairs until May 22nd. General Information Just a short drive from Washington, D.C., this Northern Virginia park offers many outdoor activities and programs. It has hiking trails, 3 miles of paved multi-use trails, a large picnic area, a playground, a car-top canoe launch and a visitor center. Hours. Lake Accotink Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. Burke Lake Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. Map/Directions The park grounds are open from sunrise to sunset.
Please be aware that these times change throughout the year. The Fairfax County Courthouse - Fairfax County, Virginia. Courthouse Bicentennial April 2000 Fairfax County has had a county court and a county courthouse for 258 years.
The first Fairfax courthouse was specified in the legislation creating the county in 1742 to be located "at a place call'd Spring Fields. " This location was most likely slightly south and west of the present-day Tyson's Corner (the intersection of Rt. 7 and Rt. 123). Ten years later, in April 1752, in response to petitions from "many of the principal inhabitants of Fairfax County," it was ordered by the Governor and Council of Virginia that the Fairfax courthouse be moved to the town of Alexandria, which had agreed to build the county a new courthouse at its own expense. It was in these two courthouses that "gentlemen justices" (men of property and social standing, such as George Washington and George Mason), who had been appointed by the Governor of Virginia, met to carry out all the business of the county.
More Courthouse images. Sully Historic Site - Fairfax County, Virginia. Audio Transcript An oasis of the past, Sully reflects the history of Fairfax County.
Completed in 1799 by Richard Bland Lee, the main house at Sully combines aspects of Georgian and Federal architecture. Richard Bland Lee was Northern Virginia's first Representative to Congress, as well as General Robert E. Lee's uncle. Lake Fairfax Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. 1400 Lake Fairfax Drive Reston, VA 20190 703-471-5414 Local Map/Directions Map of Lake Fairfax Park Aerial View Lake Fairfax Park Trails Map Hours of Operation: Lake Fairfax Park grounds are open every day from dawn to dusk.
When bad weather strikes, the park may need to alter the normal operating schedule. Call the office to determine the status during inclement weather. Winter Office Hours: Ellanor C. Lawrence Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. NOTICE: Park Access Not Impacted By Road Closure Beginning Monday, April 13 and continuing through September 1, 2015, Walney Road will be closed for construction between Westfields Boulevard and Mariah Court.
This closure will not affect access to Walney Visitor Center, Cabell’s Mill, or Walney Pond within Ellanor C. Lawrence Park. The Fairfax County Park Authority has coordinated with VDOT to ensure that visitors will have normal access to Ellanor C. Lawrence Park along Walney Road between Route 28 North and Poplar Tree Road. Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Welcome to the Fairfax Station Railroad Museum. Places - Manassas National Battlefield Park. Stone Bridge, March, 1862.
Library of Congress The Stone Bridge The Fauquier and Alexandria Turnpike bridge over Bull Run, known simply as "the Stone Bridge," was originally built in 1825. Its ability to carry traffic across the steep sided stream even at times of high water gave the Stone Bridge a key role in the Civil War. Both sides recognized its strategic importance.
W&OD Railroad - Main Page. Embankment Repair in Leesburg (Mile Marker 32 ½) For the next several weeks there will be on-going repair to the embankment along Tuscarora Creek near Lawson Road along the trail.
Please use the gravel detour in the construction area and use caution as you pass through the area. Please contact the W&OD Trail office at (703) 729-0596 if you have questions or have need of additional information. Thank you for your patience and understanding during these repairs W&OD Trail Crossing Improvements Work will begin April 3, 2015 on the W&OD Trail Crossings at the intersections with Van Buren St., Grace St., Ferndale Ave. and Crestview Dr.
Work. Work at the Crestview Dr. and Van Buren St. crossings will include the addition of medians to provide a pedestrian refuge area at the mid-point of the roadway crossing, improved signage for both trail users and roadway vehicles, and lane narrowing on southbound Crestview Dr. W&OD Trail Announces Extended Hours April 11th 2014 Stakeholders Workshop Report. Great Falls Park. Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts. Pope-Leighey House - Woodlawn & Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House. We are excited to announce the arrival of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Pope-Leighey House by Steven M.
Reiss in September 2014! More information on the book here. Pope-Leighey Coloring Book Now Available! The Pope-Leighey House Coloring Book, created by our very own tour guides, is for sale in our gift shop for $10. You can also call us at 703-780-4000 to order over the phone and have it shipped to you. Historic Green Spring - Fairfax County, Virginia. The historic house, set amid the gardens at Green Spring, was built in 1784. Visitors can enjoy changing art exhibits, enjoy tea with a tour or presentation, and visit our unique Museum Shop. The house is open Wednesday-Sunday, noon-4:30 p.m. For more information, call 703-941-7987. A Brief History In 1784, John Moss built a brick house on 540 acres of farmland in Alexandria. Pohick Church History. Free Admission, Self-Guided Tours, 9 am - 4:30 pm Daily Docents Available for Groups after Sunday Services, on the First Saturday of the Month at 1 pm, or by Appt: firstname.lastname@example.org Join the Historic Pohick Church Foundation!
Rightly called "the Mother Church of Northern Virginia," Pohick was the first permanent church in the colony to be established north of the Occoquan River, sometime prior to 1724. Originally called "the Occoquan Church," it was soon referred to as "Pohick Church" because of its proximity to Pohick Creek. George Washington's map of the area locates this long-lost wooden edifice near a site now occupied by Cranford Methodist Church. Historic Vienna, Inc. » Freeman Store. Colvin Run Mill - Fairfax County, Virginia. Audio Transcript What goes around comes around. And Colvin Run Mill, going around for over 200 years, has come around to its glory days. After several months of repairs and restoration, the historic mill is grinding again this spring. The Restoration Celebration took place on April 19, 2015.
View Event Photos Come take a turn around the mill. Venture out of your car for a leisurely afternoon enjoying the simple past-times common in the early 19th century. Huntley Meadows Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. Welcome to Huntley Meadows Park Audio Transcript Nestled in Fairfax County's Hybla Valley, Huntley Meadows Park is a rich, natural and historical island of over 1,500 acres in the suburban sea of Northern Virginia. It harbors a nationally significant historic house, majestic forests, wildflower-speckled meadows and vast wetlands bursting with life.
Some of the best wildlife watching in the Washington metropolitan area is enjoyed here. Home - Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck. Bald Eagles American Bald Eagle At the time of the refuge's establishment in 1969, the number of nesting bald eagles pairs had plummeted to less than 500 in the lower 48 states. Wildlife & Habitat About the Complex Potomac River NWR Complex In 1998, Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge (NWR), Occoquan Bay NWR, and Featherstone NWR, were reorganized into the Potomac River National Wildlife Refuge Complex.
Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck is managed as part of the Potomac River NWR Complex. Frying Pan Farm Park - Fairfax County, Virginia. Farm Entrance/Mailing Address: 2709 West Ox Road • Herndon, Virginia 20171 Visitor Center Address: 2739 West Ox Road • Herndon, Virginia 20171 • 703-437-9101 Audio Transcript Frying Pan Farm Park is part of the Floris Community in western Fairfax County, known as Frying Pan from 1726 to 1892 when the name was changed to Floris. Gristmill · George Washington's Mount Vernon. 1771. Gunston Hall Home. Woodlawn - Woodlawn & Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House. George Washington's Mount Vernon.