background preloader


Facebook Twitter


Braves' rotation takes another hit as Max Fried placed on IL. Updated 10:36 am CDT, Tuesday, September 8, 2020 The Atlanta Braves' season-long rotation woes continued Tuesday when Max Fried, the top healthy starter, was placed on the 10-day injured list.

Braves' rotation takes another hit as Max Fried placed on IL

The latest blow to the rotation could accelerate the team's plans to have Cole Hamels rushed into action for his 2020 debut. Fried had been the only current healthy member of the projected rotation before the season began. Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos said Fried has a left-side muscle spasm in his lumbar spine. Anthopoulos said he hopes Fried can return from the IL as soon as he is eligible on Sept. 16. Fried said his velocity “was definitely down” after he allowed three runs in five innings against the Washington Nationals on Saturday night. Before the injury, Fried excelled as the team's top starter, filling the void left when the Braves lost opening day starter Mike Soroka to a torn right Achilles tendon suffered on Aug. 3 against the New York Mets. Photo: John Amis, AP. Many Texas students will return to classrooms Tuesday. Little will be normal.

California fires bring more chopper rescues, power shutoffs. SHAVER LAKE, Calif. – Helicopters rescued more people from wildfires Tuesday as flames chewed through bone-dry California after a scorching Labor Day weekend that saw a dramatic airlift of more than 200 people and ended with the state's largest utility cutting power to 172,000 customers to try to prevent more blazes.

California fires bring more chopper rescues, power shutoffs

Rescue helicopters pulled dozens of people from the Sierra National Forest through the morning, the California National Guard said. California has already set a record with 2 million acres (809,000 hectares) burned this year, and the worst part of the wildfire season is just beginning. The previous record was set just two years ago and included the deadliest wildfire in state history, which swept through the community of Paradise and killed 85 people.

That 2018 blaze was started by power lines amid strong winds and tinder-dry conditions. That's the situation now in Northern California, where high and dry winds are expected until Wednesday. Weber reported from Los Angeles. Technology stocks keep stumbling; Nasdaq down 10% in 3 days. TOKYO – Big tech stocks slumped again on Wall Street, pulling the Nasdaq down 10% over the past three trading days.

Technology stocks keep stumbling; Nasdaq down 10% in 3 days

The tech-heavy index dropped 4.1% Tuesday, and the S&P 500 lost 2.8%. Big names that had been been the main reasons for Wall Street’s rocket ride back to record heights were among the heaviest weights, including Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. Tech stocks had been the darlings of Wall Street, even through the pandemic, on expectations that they can continue to deliver strong profit growth almost regardless of the economy and global health, but many market watchers have been saying the eye-popping gains were overdone. THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. AP’s earlier story appears below. Big tech stocks are continuing their Icarus-like flight path, and more sharp declines for them are dragging Wall Street toward a third straight loss on Tuesday.

The S&P 500 was down 2.5% in afternoon trading. The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 570 points, or 2%, at 27,547, as of 3 p.m. National Weather Service. This Afternoon A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm.

National Weather Service

Partly sunny, with a high near 88. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Tonight Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1am. Wednesday Showers and thunderstorms. Wednesday Night Showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Thursday Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Thursday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 1am. Friday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 73. Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Saturday Night. Whataburger becomes the ’official burger’ of the Dallas Cowboys. SAN ANTONIO – Two icons in the Lone Star State have announced a Texas-sized partnership.

Whataburger becomes the ’official burger’ of the Dallas Cowboys

Whataburger was named the “Official Burger of the Dallas Cowboys,” the San Antonio-based chain announced Tuesday, just days before the Dallas Cowboys kick off the 2020 season. “Football is serious business in the Lone Star State, and for the past 60 years, the Dallas Cowboys have built a legendary culture,” Whataburger President and CEO Ed Nelson said in a news release. “Texans also take great pride in their burgers... Together, the Cowboys and Whataburger bring 130 years of experience in winning Texans’ hearts. It’s a partnership with the greatest home-field advantage of all – our fans and communities.” The partnership marks Whataburger’s first “official burger” of an NFL Team. Jerry Jones Jr., the Cowboys’ executive vice president and chief sales and marketing officer, said “we couldn’t be happier to have a teammate like Whataburger.” Copyright 2020 by KSAT - All rights reserved.